Hi Pat,

You might have installed some malware as Alan has suggested. Especially if you
haven’t got Firewall turned ON in your System Preferences > Security & Privacy
> Firewall.

Go here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/?
<https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/?>
and download the Mac ‘Free’ version - by click on ‘DOWNLOAD NOW’

You can download the "Malwarebytes-For-Mac-User-Guide.pdf” here:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1883
<https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1883>

1. Install Malwarebytes.app version 3.3 then run a Scan by click on - StartScan
(which initiates a Threat Scan).
2. Let us know the results please.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4