I need help in converting an old modem/router into an ethernet switch.  There
are a number of web articles that describe how to do this.  It seems such a
simple 5-minute task, but I got nowhere after 5 hours.

My main network router is a Netgear R6400v2 model with four ethernet ports
which are all in use.  I will be replacing the Netgear with an Apple AirPort
Extreme with three ports.  I will need another port.

My ethernet VOIP adapter is an old iiNet Bob Lite modem/router which has four
ethernet ports.  Netgear has no problems with this and allocates “Bob phone” an
IP address in its standard range.   How can I get the three “spare” Bob Lite
ports functional?

Just plugging an iMac into a spare ethernet port will sometimes just work, but
then fails if restarted.  The Bob IP Address is 10.1.1.1 while Netgear IP
address is 192.168.1.1.   I tried changing the Bob IP address to 192.169.1.99,
but could no longer access the modem set-up page.

Cheers
Alan