Hello John,

Unfortunately the iPad (3rd Generation) (Wi-Fi & Cellular) Model Identifier
iPad3,3
Maximum OS is iOS 9.3.5 (13G36)
You can check what version of iOS9 you are running in Settings > General > about

As to why Safari is having problems accessing some websites.
Try a reboot press & hold power button & menu button hold both down until you
see apple logo .
Also go to settings - Safari delete history & cookies .
That may help.

Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB