Hi Bill,
Is this how you imported your exported the images from iPhoto and then imported
them into Photos?

To use the export method:
Open up the first iPhoto library.
Select the photos you want to move.
Choose "Export" from the menu.
Select either Current (exports with edits) or Original.
Select a folder to export the images to.
Import the photos to an existing Photos library.
Repeat for each iPhoto Library.

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB