Hi Peter,

This will take many try’s, but persist with it. You might need a glass or two
of wine or beer Peter.

1. Connect the external drive to your wife’s MacBook
2. Open Disk Utility > in the left column, select the volume of the external
drive
3. Click ‘Repair Disk’
You will keep receiving the Error: ‘Disk Utility can’t repair this Disk etc
because the drive has not been ejected properly’
But keep hitting Repair Disk until it eventually runs correctly through and
completes the process of repairing the drive.
4. Disconnect the Drive correctly and remove it from the USB port.

Let’s know if it gets rid of the Notification notice when the external is
connected again to the MacBook.

Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB