I should also mention that this problem has persisted through several updates
of Office and also several updates of the actual Update app.

From: <wamug.org.au-wamug-boun...@lists.wamug.org.au> on behalf of Neil
Houghton <n...@possumology.com>
Date: Monday, 18 March 2019 at 17:32
To: <wamug@wamug.org.au>
Subject: Re: Update Office 365

Hi Severin,

This may or may not be relevant to your situation.

I have been finding MS AutoUpdate problematic for a while – though I do have a
working “workaround”

I have Office 365 installed on 3 different computers – all are running OSX
10.11.6 – so an older OS than you.

On one of the computers AutoUpdate works fine. On the other two I have the same
problem and it was not immediately apparent exactly what the problem was until
I tried updating the apps one at a time (ie uncheck all the apps except one)
and carefully watched what happened:
The app downloads as expected.
The app installs as expected.
The app verifies as expected.
THEN
The app starts downloading again!

After digesting this madness, I found that if I quit Autoupdate while it was
trying to re-download it and then reopened Auto update it would now recognise
that the app was updated and not show that there was any update available. I
can then do the same with one of the other apps.

This is obviously a bit of a pain – but I have more pressing matters to deal
with so, for the moment, my update workflow on the 2 problematic computers is:
I have created an alias to the Microsoft Autoupdate app that is easily
accessible.
I have set Autoupdate to notify me when updates are available but not to update
automatically.
When it is update time I fire up Autoupdate and select one app to update and
then quit Autoupdate when it tries to download a second time.
I then repeat the process for the other four office apps.
A final launch of Autoupdate now confirms that I am up-to-date.

Of course, your problem might be completely different and unrelated – but it
would be easy to check by manually initiating the update of one app only and
carefully watching the process to see where the problem arises.

HTH

Cheers

Neil