Hi Neil,

From what I understand (but other members that know more about the Notes App,
please help),
even to see the new features and sync those notes to other devices, you must
“upgrade” your Notes accounts after updating to iOS 9 (or OS X 10.11 El
Capitan).
The problem with doing so is that the Notes app in 10.10 Yosemite (and iOS 8)
doesn’t support the new format, so notes in your iCloud account won’t sync
until upgraded.

So your choice is probably… Upgrade the iPhone 4S to iOS 9.3.5

Upgrade Notes on your iOS 9 devices and use the iCloud.com Web app on
unsupported devices.

On the iPads - Settings > Notes - Accounts - Default Account is iCloud - I’m
thinking you might also have “On My iPad” account selected?

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6