Hi Jennifer,

For spam that does make it as far as your Mac, Mail’s built-in junk mail filter
is your next line of defence.
But you have to turn it on and set it correctly for it to be of any use.

Did you originally set up Junk Mail in Mail?  Mail > Preferences - Junk Mail?
If not Follow these steps:

        • Go Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail.

        • Make sure “Enable junk mail filtering” is checked.

        • Under “When junk mail arrives,” select “Move it to the Junk mailbox.”

        • Make sure these checkboxes are checked:

                • ‣  “Sender of message is in my Contacts”

                • ‣  “Sender of message is in my Previous Recipients”

These will help prevent Mail from misidentifying legitimate messages as spam.

5. Uncheck “Message is addressed using my full name.”

You will then need to Train Your Junk Mail Filter

Mail’s Junk Mail filter gets smarter and more accurate as you use it— but only
if you tell it the truth! That means always correcting it when it makes a
mistake.
If Mail fails to move a spam message to Junk, select it and click the Junk
button on the toolbar.

In addition, scan your Junk mailbox every few days or so to make sure Mail
hasn’t mistakenly marked a good message as spam. If you find a legitimate
message, select it, click the Not Junk  button on the toolbar or click the Move
to Inbox button at the top of the message; either way, Mail both marks the
message as Not Junk and returns it to your Inbox. (If you don’t see the Junk
or Not Junk  button, that’s because they’re the same button—the name changes
depending on whether Mail thinks the selected message is spam or not.)

Kind regards,

Ronni