Hi Tony,

Another opinion.  My 27” 5K  iMac is in a room with airconditioning turned off.
 I am not “working” the mac at this time - I did my photo edits last night.

The ambient temperature in this room is now 35.4 degrees. Mac specis say max
ambient temp for a Mac is 30 degrees. Unless the internal fan is running flat
out (and noisy!) then I would just let the Mac have a sleep for a while.  The
aluminium case is really a heat sink and the heat must transfer to a cooler
external environment. Internal heat sensors should get the fan to work faster -
and it can really hot inside.

A problem with apps to monitor (and adjust) fan speed is that many people
“fiddle” with the settings.  Then discover the basic problem was clogged  air
vents that can be cleaned without dismantling the computer.

Perhaps a small personal fan blowing across the back of the iMac would help
move the heat away.  Dipping in water is NOT recommended!

Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Alan