Hi John

A possible work around. The macOS app Image Capture may work.  This will bypass
the built-in Canon software.

Image Capture worked with my obsolete Lexmark when its software was no longer
available. I now have an Epson scanner which works very well, but I prefer to
use Image Capture. I also use Image Capture for importing photos from my iPhone
and a Samsung Galaxy.

Cheers,
Alan