Hi Rosemary, this must be concerning for you. I hope you have a TC backup of
the content as a fall back. A tip I got some years ago from Daniel on drive
mounting which has got me out of trouble a couple of times is to do the
following.

Starting with the external drive NOT connected to the USB port
Remove the cable for the external drive for the portable drive
Connect the cable ONLY to the MBP USB port
Wait 30 seconds (the MBP recognises that a connection has been made but with
nothing on it)
Then connect the portable drive to the end of the cable just plugged in, in
step 3
Cross fingers and hope the drive will now mount.

I have tried this on occasion when a “Disk Eject Error” results from
inadvertent unplugging of an external drive.

But from the sounds of what you’ve done already, I am not confident this will
work for you.

I am yet to move to Catalina with my MBP - mainly due to the MS Office update
it would force me to do. My locally installed Office for Mac 2011 has been more
than capable of covering the basic tasks I need and I have a work laptop with
Office 2016 for more current tasks. But I digress sorry.

If you have a TC backup of the data from the previously connected external
drive when it was mounted, you may be able retrieve the data to a newly
formatted and mounted drive in Catalina.

I hope you can sort the drive mounting issue.

Regards

Peter.