Hi Julie that is lucky you were able to transfer data before anything got lost.
Peter’s original question however relates to whether external SSD drives are
more reliable and it wasn’t clear from your email if your drives were HDD
(mechanical spinning disc drives) or SSD (solid state drives).

My experience has been to trust SSD devices more than HDD drive devices. It
stands to reason that something mechanical and moving in principle is going to
fail at some point where solid state devices have potentially an indefinite
life - though there may be reasons that can’t be. SSD is likely to be more
robust against accidental dropping too where an HDD not so likely. SSD drives
are likely quicker too though can be a function of USB connection generation
(2.0 or 3.0).

I would lean to SSD Peter if I was buying now but I have quite a number of HDD
external drives and they have been reliable for many years for me. Always a
good policy to have backup of all data too - including your externally attached
drives  - to Time Machine so you can sleep at night about the potential loss of
data not being disastrous. The price of HDD external drives is so very cheap
now too where SSD a bit dearer for the same capacity. Always go a good named
brand.

Pete.