Hi Tim,

Depending on your confidence/hand steadiness you could always try replacing the
screen yourself!

I replaced the rear glass on my old iphone4 - but that was a $10 passive
component so I was quite happy to give it a punt and it turned out to be pretty
easy.

Obviously an Apple Watch replacement display is more costly and the replacement
is more involved!

iFixit has this page on Apple Watch screens here
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Apple-Watch/Screens

Looks like screen prices vary from around $60 for a series 1 to $180 for a
series 5 - but that doesn't include any special tools which you may or may not
already have (I got a reasonable set when I did my iMac repair/rebuild)

I don't know the details of your watch but you can see a teardown of a series 6
here
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+6+Teardown/136694

You would have to do your own research on what was involved for your specific
model - if it is anything like phones or iMacs some models are definitely
easier than others to work on!

You should also check if a replacement screen will get

 everything working again (eg paying with the watch).

Or - as you say - work out just how much you need an Apple Watch!

HTH

Cheers

Neil