Hi Stephen,

Nothing like a slow Mac to get into analytical mode - - -.

Your iMac has good specs, so there may be some condition (covid 19?!) affecting
it.  Personally I would not have Dropbox at all; and I see no reason to have
Mail as a Login item.

I run my iMac with minimum active windows and just launch an app as required
from the dock.  And quit when finished. I may just ‘close’ Excel instead of
quitting as it is relatively slow to launch.

A quickie you probably know - keep a clean desktop. Sweep files into a single
desktop folder until you get time to put put them in their permanent Documents
folder.  If you are lazy like me, name the desktop folders with a date.  When
you see a folder named “To Be Sorted - June 2019” you know it is really is time
to clean it up.

Cheers,
Alan