Hi Rosemary

A few things that could help -
1. Check that the icon wasn’t in a weird location behind something else (I’ve
had this happen to a client where the drive icon was actually “hidden”
underneath another file (which is shouldn’t do),..so each time it was plugged
in, it went back to its “remembered location” below the file. My the file, it
then showed up.
(Doesn’t happen often, but worth a look first “just incase”.

2. Try unticking the setting to “show external drives”. Once unticked, restart
the computer with the setting “off” to not show them. After the restart then go
back in and “Retick” the setting for it come back into effect. Then see if
resolves.

3. Check that there isn’t another Application that could be using (or hiding)
the drive.

4. Delete the finder plist file.
If you go into your User Library (hold down Option key and click on the Go menu
then choose “Library” (being the one in Macintosh HD/Users/yourname/Library -
also shown in some help as ~/Library). Then go into Preferences. Find the file
called com.apple.Finder.plist - there may be a few. Drag these to the Desktop
and then restart. Then check External Drive setting again and see if they show
up.

5. You can also try in Terminal the command to show External Disks
Go to Utilities folder and open Terminal
Copy and paste the following
defaults write com.apple.finder ShowExternalHardDrivesOnDesktop -bool true
Then /exit
Then Quit out Terminal. Restart (just incase). Then see if ehy show up as per
normal.

That would be the main ones I would try first anyway and see how it goes.

Hope something there helps.
Kind regards
Daniel

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

p : 0414 795 960
e : <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
w : <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.