Corby and the mob
Andrew Bolt
01jun05

AND  now  to  the  verdict  on  the  Schapelle  Corby case. I find the
defendant  guilty  of  xenophobia,  spite,  boorishness  and         a
self-righteous tribal hysteria.

No, I don't mean Corby.

I'm referring to the weeping and bellowing mob that is demanding we do
all  it  takes  -- even starve the poorest Indonesians -- to free this
convicted drug trafficker. "Our" Schapelle.

What  a  shock  to  see  the  beast of mob rule roar like this, and in
support  of a woman who seems on the evidence more likely to be guilty
than she's painted.

Yes,  Corby  may  be as innocent as she says. But picture how she must
look,  and how we all now look, to an Indonesian, whether a judge or a
citizen.

Here is a surfer girl who worked as a bar hostess in Tokyo's nightclub
area, flying into Bali for reportedly the fifth time in six years.

(Corby,  a  student beautician who'd scraped up cash from working at a
fish-and-chip  shop,  told  60 Minutes she'd been to Bali "five or six
times since I was 16".)

Customs  officials  screen  her  bags and detect something suspicious.
They  watch  her,  and  later  tell  a  court  she  seems nervous. Her
bodyboard  bag  is  more  than twice its usual weight, bulging with an
extra something the size of a stuffed pillow.

Actually,  she says later, she'd only dragged her bag, and had so much
other  luggage she couldn't tell its weight was unusual, or that there
was anything inside but a bodyboard and flippers. Yes, well.

Two police and two customs officials agree on what happened next. They
say Corby's brother James carried the bag for her to the customs area,
where officer I Gusti Nyoman Winata asked her to open it.

Corby zipped open the front pocket. Now the main zip, demanded Winata.

"The suspect (seemed) to panic," he later testified.

"When I opened the bag a little bit, she stopped me and said, 'No!'

"I asked why. She answered, 'I have some . . .' She looked confused."

ABC's  Lateline  showed  Winata  re-enacting Corby's lunge to stop him
opening her bag. He seemed as honest as Corby does, and said he had no
doubt of her guilt.

Winata  looked inside and found 4.1kg of top-quality marijuana, stowed
in two airlock plastic bags, one tucked inside the other.

What is it, he asked?

"It's marijuana," the officials heard Corby reply.

Keep  thinking  how this all must look to an Indonesian. Who would you
believe?

Think  how  it seems when the marijuana turns out to be hydroponically
grown, and worth anywhere up to $80,000 in Bali, where it is prized by
expatriates  who are sick of the weak local weed and feel safer buying
from a tourist. Big profits.

Keep  picturing.  The Indonesians learn that Corby, although having no
criminal record, comes from a wild and woolly family.

One  of  her brothers is in jail for burglary and stealing, her mother
is  on  to  her fourth partner after having six children by three men.
Her  father  had  a  minor conviction some 30 years ago for possessing
marijuana.

Sure, none of that makes her guilty, but how would all this make Corby
seem  to  an  Indonesian?  Here's  a  tip:  Not like she came from the
responsible land of the straight-and-narrow.

I  T gets worse. Corby's defence team is soon headed by a salesman who
looks  like  a  spiv and is a former bankrupt who still owes creditors
plenty.

Her  main  defence  witness  becomes an alleged rapist flown in from a
Melbourne  jail to tell how he heard some crook who'd heard some other
crook say Corby was unwittingly carrying drugs for crooks operating at
the Brisbane and Sydney airport terminals.

With  Australians  like  this  behind  Corby,  it's a wonder the whole
country wasn't tossed into the cell with her.

The  judges are then asked to believe these unknown smugglers took the
marijuana into a high-security area at Brisbane in easy-to-see-through
plastic  and  popped  it  into  a  random  bag  to be flown to another
high-security area in Sydney.

Why  the  smugglers  would do that, rather than simply drive the drugs
down  to  Sydney  by car, all safe, no one can say. That they then let
their valuable drugs fly off to Bali is another mystery.

No  wonder  our own Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty
dismissed Corby's theory as "flimsy". Corby's judges must have thought
her team took them for idiots.

Idiots?  They  soon  learned  plenty  of Australians took them for far
worse. And now it was not Corby on trial, and losing, but Australia.

In  one  heady  spasm,  hundreds  of  thousands  of Australians became
certain that Corby the beautiful battler was in fact innocent.

Suddenly  she  was  the  star  of  a  reality-TV  Perils of Pauline --
complete  with  cartoon-like  big  breasts, every-woman prettiness and
more  tears  than a soapie. It helped the plot that she was repeatedly
filmed  hands  bound and besieged, pale in a jabbering, jostling crowd
of brown foreigners.

Damn  those  natives.  "The  judges  don't  even  speak English, mate,
they're  straight  out  of  the  trees, if you excuse my _expression,"
raged 2GB Sydney fill-in host Malcolm T. Elliott.

"Whoa, give them a banana and away they go."

Others screamed that the judges were lying Muslims out for revenge (in
fact, the chief judge was a Christian, and the other two Hindus).

Newspapers  attacked  Indonesia's courts as corrupt and their jails as
temples  of  "gloating  sadism"  where  there  was "little sympathy of
foreigners,  for  which  you  may perhaps read Christians". Save "our"
Schapelle from the demon heathen!

No  surprise, then, that Indonesian officials here were bombarded with
so  many  threats  and insults that Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander
Downer  had  to  plead for them to be left alone. What would we say of
Indonesians if our own diplomats were monstered like this?

Now Corby's defenders demand we boycott struggling Bali. Actor Russell
Crowe,  among  others, even warned Indonesia to remember we gave money
for  its tsunami victims -- as if we only gave charity in exchange for
passes out of jail.

Sick,  but  the  feeling has grown. The Salvation Army, out on its Red
Shield  appeal, had to promise not to send donations to Indonesia. Let
their poor suffer for "our" Schapelle.

Meanwhile, radio hosts insisted the Prime Minister call the Indonesian
President  to  fix  things in court for Corby, as if such interference
wasn't plainly corrupt.

Worryingly,  even senior politicians lost their heads in the hysteria,
with  Justice Minister Chris Ellison vowing to try bringing Corby home
in  a  "one-off"  prisoner exchange. The other 150 Australians in jail
overseas should get breast implants.

HAVE we lost our heads? Are we really such a vile rabble?

What  must  Indonesians  make of this hissing mob that threatens their
diplomats, vilifies their country, blackmails them with aid and treats
their  judges  as  the  corrupt playthings of our politicians? And all
this  for  the  sake  of  a  convicted  drug  smuggler who seems quite
probably guilty, and only possibly innocent.

Even  our  whinges  about their drug laws must seem bizarre. Guess who
truly has the worst laws -- Indonesia, which gave Corby 20 years' jail
for  having  4.1kg  of  marijuana; or Victoria, which meanwhile gave a
mere  12-month community service order to a teacher found with 29kg --
and let her keep her teaching licence?

So  how  must  we  seem  to  Indonesians?  Like  barbarians,  or  even
terrorists, and it's hard at the moment to think them very wrong.

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=hotbar%5felement%3bst%3b&SG=&RAND=7271&partner=hotbar>

Would you Help a Child in need?
It is easier than you think.
Click Here to meet a Child you can help.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sTR6_D/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/aYWolB/TM

WM FOR ACEH
Bantu korban bencana gempa dan tsunami di Aceh dan Sumatra Utara!
Rekening BCA Kantor Cabang Pembantu (KCP) Koperasi Sejati Mulia Pasar Minggu No
Rek. 554 001 4207 an. Herni Sri Nurbayanti.
Harap konfirmasi sebelumnya ke [EMAIL PROTECTED] atau HP 0817 149 129.

Milis Wanita Muslimah
Membangun citra wanita muslimah dalam diri, keluarga, maupun masyarakat.
Situs Web: http://www.wanita-muslimah.com
Kirim Posting mailto:wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com
Berhenti mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Milis Keluarga Islami mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Milis Anak Muda Islam mailto:majelismuda@yahoogroups.com

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links