IRA tak pernah membawa simbol agama dan juga nama organisasinya tidak ada
kaitan dengan agama.

----- Original Message -----
From: "khaidarmak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:00 AM
Subject: [wanita-muslimah] Qutbian terrorism

The label of Catholic terror was never used about the IRA

Fundamentalism is often a form of nationalism in religious disguise

Karen Armstrong
Monday July 11, 2005
The Guardian

Last year I attended a conference in the US about security and
intelligence in the so-called war on terror and was astonished to hear
one of the more belligerent participants, who as far as I could tell
had nothing but contempt for religion, strongly argue that as a purely
practical expedient, politicians and the media must stop referring to
"Muslim terrorism". It was obvious, he said, that the atrocities had
nothing to do with Islam, and to suggest otherwise was not merely
inaccurate but dangerously counterproductive.

Article continues
Rhetoric is a powerful weapon in any conflict. We cannot hope to
convert Osama bin Laden from his vicious ideology; our priority must
be to stem the flow of young people into organisations such as
al-Qaida, instead of alienating them by routinely coupling their
religion with immoral violence. Incorrect statements about Islam have
convinced too many in the Muslim world that the west is an implacable
enemy. Yet, as we found at the conference, it is not easy to find an
alternative for referring to this terrorism; however, the attempt can
be a salutary exercise that reveals the complexity of what we are up
against.

We need a phrase that is more exact than "Islamic terror". These acts
may be committed by people who call themselves Muslims, but they
violate essential Islamic principles. The Qur'an prohibits aggressive
warfare, permits war only in self-defence and insists that the true
Islamic values are peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. It also
states firmly that there must be no coercion in religious matters, and
for centuries Islam had a much better record of religious tolerance
than Christianity.

Like the Bible, the Qur'an has its share of aggressive texts, but like
all the great religions, its main thrust is towards kindliness and
compassion. Islamic law outlaws war against any country in which
Muslims are allowed to practice their religion freely, and forbids the
use of fire, the destruction of buildings and the killing of innocent
civilians in a military campaign. So although Muslims, like Christians
or Jews, have all too often failed to live up to their ideals, it is
not because of the religion per se.

We rarely, if ever, called the IRA bombings "Catholic" terrorism
because we knew enough to realise that this was not essentially a
religious campaign. Indeed, like the Irish republican movement, many
fundamentalist movements worldwide are simply new forms of nationalism
in a highly unorthodox religious guise. This is obviously the case
with Zionist fundamentalism in Israel and the fervently patriotic
Christian right in the US.

In the Muslim world, too, where the European nationalist ideology has
always seemed an alien import, fundamentalisms are often more about a
search for social identity and national self-definition than religion.
They represent a widespread desire to return to the roots of the
culture, before it was invaded and weakened by the colonial powers.

Because it is increasingly recognised that the terrorists in no way
represent mainstream Islam, some prefer to call them jihadists, but
this is not very satisfactory. Extremists and unscrupulous politicians
have purloined the word for their own purposes, but the real meaning
of jihad is not "holy war" but "struggle" or "effort." Muslims are
commanded to make a massive attempt on all fronts - social, economic,
intellectual, ethical and spiritual - to put the will of God into
practice.

Sometimes a military effort may be a regrettable necessity in order to
defend decent values, but an oft-quoted tradition has the Prophet
Muhammad saying after a military victory: "We are coming back from the
Lesser Jihad [ie the battle] and returning to the Greater Jihad" - the
far more important, difficult and momentous struggle to reform our own
society and our own hearts.

Jihad is thus a cherished spiritual value that, for most Muslims, has
no connection with violence. Last year, at the University of Kentucky,
I met a delightful young man called Jihad; his parents had given him
that name in the hope that he would become not a holy warrior, but a
truly spiritual man who would make the world a better place. The term
jihadi terrorism is likely to be offensive, therefore, and will win no
hearts or minds.

At our conference in Washington, many people favoured "Wahhabi
terrorism". They pointed out that most of the hijackers on September
11 came from Saudi Arabia, where a peculiarly intolerant form of Islam
known as Wahhabism was the state religion. They argued that this
description would be popular with those many Muslims who tended to be
hostile to the Saudis. I was not happy, however, because even though
the narrow, sometimes bigoted vision of Wahhabism makes it a fruitful
ground for extremism, the vast majority of Wahhabis do not commit acts
of terror.

Bin Laden was not inspired by Wahhabism but by the writings of the
Egyptian ideologue Sayyid Qutb, who was executed by President Nasser
in 1966. Almost every fundamentalist movement in Sunni Islam has been
strongly influenced by Qutb, so there is a good case for calling the
violence that some of his followers commit "Qutbian terrorism." Qutb
urged his followers to withdraw from the moral and spiritual barbarism
of modern society and fight it to the death.

Western people should learn more about such thinkers as Qutb, and
become aware of the many dramatically different shades of opinion in
the Muslim world. There are too many lazy, unexamined assumptions
about Islam, which tends to be regarded as an amorphous, monolithic
entity. Remarks such as "They hate our freedom" may give some a
righteous glow, but they are not useful, because they are rarely
accompanied by a rigorous analysis of who exactly "they" are.

The story of Qutb is also instructive as a reminder that militant
religiosity is often the product of social, economic and political
factors. Qutb was imprisoned for 15 years in one of Nasser's vile
concentration camps, where he and thousands of other members of the
Muslim Brotherhood were subjected to physical and mental torture. He
entered the camp as a moderate, but the prison made him a
fundamentalist. Modern secularism, as he had experienced it under
Nasser, seemed a great evil and a lethal assault on faith.

Precise intelligence is essential in any conflict. It is important to
know who our enemies are, but equally crucial to know who they are
not. It is even more vital to avoid turning potential friends into
foes. By making the disciplined effort to name our enemies correctly,
we will learn more about them, and come one step nearer, perhaps, to
solving the seemingly intractable and increasingly perilous problems
of our divided world.

ยท Karen Armstrong is author of Islam: a Short History

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

WM FOR ACEH
Bantu korban bencana gempa dan tsunami di Aceh dan Sumatra Utara!
Rekening BCA Kantor Cabang Pembantu (KCP) Koperasi Sejati Mulia Pasar Minggu
No Rek. 554 001 4207 an. Herni Sri Nurbayanti.
Harap konfirmasi sebelumnya ke [EMAIL PROTECTED] atau HP 0817 149 129.

Milis Wanita Muslimah
Membangun citra wanita muslimah dalam diri, keluarga, maupun masyarakat.
Situs Web: http://www.wanita-muslimah.com
Kirim Posting mailto:wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com
Berhenti mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Milis Keluarga Islami mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Milis Anak Muda Islam mailto:majelismuda@yahoogroups.com

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links