http://www.abc.net.au/ra/asiapac/programs/s1453728.htm

Last Updated 6/09/2005 4:35:00 PM

AUSTRALIA: Muslim party established

In Canberra, an application has been lodged to register what would be
Australia's first Muslim politcal party.
The "Best Party of Allah" claims it wants to show that Muslims are willing to
integrate into Australian political life.

  Listen  |  Audio Help

Marion Macgregor reports.

MACGREGOR: Coming just over a week after Australia's prime minister, John
Howard, called a bridge-building summit with Muslim leaders, news of the
country's first Muslim political party is bound to create controversy.

At the last census taken in 2001, more than 281,000 people, around 1.5 percent
of Australia's population, identified themselves as Muslims.

But the founder of the Best Party of Allah, Kurt Kennedy, says that number is
closer to half a million and growing.

And he says they want their voices heard.

KENNEDY: We hope to dispel all the myths and misconceptions and
misunderstanding relating to the people who believe in Allah. We do appreciate
the value of the democratic system. It's a fair system, it allows people to
elect the leaders of their choice, unlike other countries.

MACGREGOR: Why do you need your own party to do that?

KENNEDY: That's part and parcel of democracy you know. We don't like the
existing parties. We have to have our own voice. We have our views about
certain things. We're not happy with Australia sending troops overseas, killing
people who may be relatives of Australians living in Australia.

MACGREGOR: Some people might see setting up a political party such as this as
provocative in this current climate. What do you say to that?

KENNEDY: It's not provocative at all. And there's no time like now to act. And
we shouldn't be hesitant in expressing our views.

MACGREGOR: How many Muslims or followers of Islam in Australia do you think
will support your party?

KENNEDY: I hope the vast majority of them. Sensible, honest, hard-working
people who have been silent for quite a while, we want to have their view,
which is moderate. Follow the middle path, not too extreme.

MACGREGOR: Will the party tolerate different views on things like wearing
headscarves at school?

KENNEDY: Of course we respect the right of people to choose what they wear.
We're not out here to ban people from drinking alcohol, ban them from eating
pork, or ban them from engaging in gambling. But what we're saying is, we would
be introducing incentives to lower the incidence of these behaviours or
activities.

MACGREGOR: Kurt Kennedy.

The Best Party of Allah plans to go on to become a national party, and Kurt
Kennedy believes they'll have no problem attracting the 500 members needed.

But the head of the Islamic Council of Victoria, Yasser Soliman, won't be one
of them.

He says most Muslims to be regarded as fellow Australians and nothing else.

SOLIMAN: I have no problem with Muslims being in politics or being politicians.
That's not the issue at all, there's Christians there, and there's probably
people from no faith and then there's all sorts of people from the whole
spectrum. But I do have a problem when people carry the attitude that they're
there to represent only one part of the Australian community. I mean it's
important that politicians lead for everybody. Otherwise you start getting
people to polarize, groups in the community to polarize.

MACGREGOR: Do you think then it poses the risk of a backlash?

SOLIMAN: I really hope not. I don't think it'll have much attraction to the
Muslim community, this political party being proposed. It hasn't been discussed
with the Muslim community. And the people who are mentioned on the website
being behind it are not people that we know on the landscape. We don't know
what their history is, or what their ideas really are. And so it will achieve
getting controversy out there. There'll be controversy in the media and
there'll be concern in the wider community, but amongst this, the Muslim
community is not really aware of the thinking behind it.

MACGREGOR: If a national Muslim political party were to form, how easy would it
be to accommodate and reflect the views of all Australian Muslims?

SOLIMAN: It wouldn't be that easy and you would need to have extensive
representation in all states. I mean basically the Muslim community from over
70 different ethnic backgrounds and so on. And we're still discovering each
other. It is difficult for anyone to come and say "I represent the Muslim
community".

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/aYWolB/TM

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links