Amid increasing tensions between the US and Iran, an Iranian-American
entrepreneur and proponent of private space travel is preparing to
become the first Muslim woman astronaut.

By Shahed Amanullah, August 28, 2006

        Better get to the spaceport early

With all the trouble that Muslim passengers go through at the airport
these days, it's comforting to know that at least one Muslim will be
entrusted with the flight of a lifetime - hopefully without the hassle
that people who Fly While Muslim go through. After an ailing Japanese
businessman pulled out of the running, Iranian-American entrepreneur
Anousheh Ansari was selected to be the next "space tourist," paying a
reported $20 million to be launched on a Russian Soyuz space capsule
for a visit to the International Space Station. Ansari, whose family
helped fund the Ansari X-Prize to spur the development of private
space travel (so much for Muslims not contributing anything to the
modern world), will become the first Muslim woman astronaut (though
not the first Muslim in space). "By reaching this dream I've had since
childhood, I hope to tangibly demonstrate to young people all over the
world that there is no limit to what they can accomplish," said
Ansari, 39, who immigrated from Iran as a teenager and went on to
found several successful technology companies. Ansari's trip to space
comes at a time when tensions between her adopted country and the one
where she grew up have reached a fever pitch, with the US treating
Iran's recent opening of a heavy-water plant as a confrontational
move. "I believe [Iran] is the greatest enemy we will ever face," said
Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA) in a speech Tuesday, explaining that Iran
wants to take over al-Qaida's unfinished business and introducing the
legislative groundwork for military intervention in Iran. With
Ansari's space flight scheduled for September 14th, one can only
wonder what she would be thinking if she gazes down from the
International Space Station - after having shown through her example
what is possible when you put the best of America and the best of the
Muslim world together - only to see small dots of light scattered over
the land of her birth.

Shahed Amanullah is editor-in-chief of alt.muslim.

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links