http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20061222.E02

Women and democracy

Opinion and Editorial - December 22, 2006

Dewi Candraningrum, Asienhaus, Germany

In traditional Javanese philosophy, the popular advice given to a
newly elected leader is: Ojo silap karo harta, tahta, lan wanita (Do
not easily be tempted by wealth, power, and women). The advice
continues to say that "leaders should serve those whom they lead".

This advice evolved from an epistemological construction that women
are contested objects. It long marked the thinking of the patriarchal
feudal nobles of the Javanese kingdoms. Housing dozens of wives in the
keputren (similar to a harem in the Middle East, zenana in India or a
playboy mansion in the modern world), and treating them as precious
jewels was the prerogative of the prince as the absolute master.

How about the laymen? Those outside of the nobility mostly practiced
monogamy. Women and men worked together in the rice fields. Compared
to the women who were confined to the keputren and were forbidden from
entering the public arena, ordinary women were able to move quite
freely outside of domestic life. Even traditional Javanese markets
were dominated by women vendors. This is still clear from the
well-known Klewer textile market in Surakarta, where women vendors
prevail. Muhammad Yunus, the Nobel Peace laureate who founded the
Grameen bank in Bangladesh to help women access micro credits, was
speaking the truth when he said that "women are better with money".
These women could prove their independent roles within the public
arena as well as their ability to serve their families in the domestic
arena.

One of the Prophet Muhammad's legacies is his view of women as
"complete human beings", as opposed to jahiliyah (dark age) Arab
society, which regarded women as "semi-human beings". Muhammad's
perspective changed the position of women from contested objects to
independent subjects. This universal truth is also upheld by the
Republic of Indonesia, a state that espouses democracy as a basic
philosophy that guarantees the rights of women.

The practices of polygamy and nikah siri (unofficial marriage) run
counter to the Islamic principles of equality and serving others.
These practices further give rise to corruption in the administration
of state.

The current corruption landscape is characterized by the perspective
that women are nothing more than contested objects. "Women" are
objectified and equated to sources of temptation, in the same way that
temptation attaches to "wealth" and "power". The reciprocal
hybridization and interpenetration of the "communal" textual
patriarchal interpretation of sharia and the "egocentrism" of modern
Western cosmology have been used by corrupt state leaders to justify
their violations of the principal of monogamous marriage. They loudly
proclaim: "Do not mix private matters with state policy." They are
clever indeed.

On the one hand, they strongly and loudly demand that their
gender-biased interpretations of sharia to regulate how women behave
in public be incorporated into state policy, as evident from the
issuance of 23 sharia-based ordinances that have robbed women of their
rights to participate in the economic sphere and their freedom to
choose the way in which they wish to dress. Meanwhile, on the other
hand, they loudly denounce women's activists who seek the amendment of
the Marriage Law.

"Do not deprive us of our basic rights under the Marriage Law. If you
want to practice polygamy, ask for our permission beforehand. Don't
tell us that you have already married a girl without our prior consent
and that of your children. Do not deprive us of our right to choose
the way we dress and to participate in economic activities. Do protect
us from structural poverty that forces us to sell our bodies. Do
protect us from the media who sell our bodies cheaply. Apprehend those
who traffic us on the black market. Listen to the more gender-based
interpretations of our beloved sharia, which undeniably protects our
rights. Listen to the voices of those who are experts on the law who
laud the gender-mainstreaming project initiated by the state minister
for women's empowerment," the women of Indonesia cry.

Are women the scourge of democracy? This is the perspective espoused
by our leaders, who regard themselves as our masters. Democracy and
demonstrations mean the power of the people, instead of the power of
the master.

Women have always been strong proponents of democracy. Women shall
claim their "guaranteed rights" before the state. I laud the bravery
of women's activists who fight against polygamy. We are longing for
state leaders who act as servants of the people, servants of the
state, servants of the citizens, and who respect our rights. We are
crying out for new Muhammads, fighters for gender equality in our poor
and predominantly Muslim country.

The writer, a lecturer at Surakarta Muhammadiyah University, is the
recipient of a DAAD scholarship and is currently pursuing her
doctorate, as well as teaching, at the Ethnology Institute at the
University of Muenster in Germany. She can be reached at
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke