ISLAMIC CONFUSION

Dr Samar Rashdan Al-Roomi

Posted 23/12/2006

Posted on 12/23/2006 10:43:59 AM

I RECENTLY overheard two Kuwaitis discussing the Islamic world's state of
affairs over Turkish coffee and shisha.

'You know it's really sad,' began Ahmad. 'If you take a look around the world,
humanity is living under sorry circumstances.'

'What do you mean?' asked Muhameed.

'Just look at the Muslims outside of the Arab world. They simply don't have a
clue. I think that the only good Muslims we have today are Arabs,' Ahmad
concluded.
'Yes,' agreed his friend. 'You're absolutely right. Thank God for us Arabs.
Without us what would have become of this great faith?'

'But even among us Arabs,' reasoned Ahmad, 'there are so many who are just so
un-Islamic. They have been seduced by Western ideology and have become
so-called 'modernists.''

'That's true,' agreed Muhameed. 'It's really terrible how taken they are with
things that are so alien to our religion. In fact, if you really look closely,
many of the Arabs have also strayed from the true path. This has become a real
problem.'

'I couldn't agree with you more,' replied Ahmed. 'It's actually no longer fair
to say that it is the Arabs who are the true Muslims. All things considered,
Kuwait is more conservative than other Gulf States, for example, the United
Arab Emirates or Bahrain.'
'Absolutely!' exclaimed Muhameed. 'Thank God for us Kuwaitis! But you know
what?' he asked pensively.
'What?' replied Ahmed.

'Look at what's going on in the country with the way that some women dress. I
even saw one women who wore her skirt above her knees...and she was Kuwaiti
too.'
'You're joking surely?' retorted Muhammad astonished.
'That's the problem,' Muhameed said. 'Kuwaitis on average are just too liberal.
All mixed with external influences. It's not right at all.'

'I guess then, all things considered, true Islam really only belongs in our
neigborhood. At least here we are practicing our faith properly,' Ahmed said
with finality.

'But hang on a minute. What about the satellite television antennas on various
houses and some of the men in the community with short beards, said Muhameed?
'You know what?' piped up Ahmed. 'You are absolutely right Muhameed. I guess we
are the only true Muslims that exist.'

'Well,' sighed Muhameed. 'Frankly speaking, I don't always see you in the
mosque for Fajr ya Ahmad. So I guess the only true Muslim in the world must be
me.'
For some reason, many of us behave like Ahmed and Muhameed firmly believe that
we have been bestowed with the divine right to judge people according to their
piety. It always amazes me how people use religion to suit their own
convenience and more especially as a weapon to criticize others. All religions
have the inherent noble objective of achieving the betterment of not only the
individual per se but also the society he belongs to. Thus, I wonder why is it
that Islam (a faith that fundamentally preaches tolerance and respect) is
constantly used by its ill-informed practitioners as a means to do just the
opposite. It really sickens and depresses me to watch impotently as people with
very little knowledge and understanding of the essence of this great
egalitarian religion and an evident lack of compassion toward others take it
upon themselves to masquerade as self-appointed vigilantes using their outward
appearance as a pretext to damn everybody else. It seems that the length of
ones beard is the ultimate qualification of closeness to God. Long beard
equates to great proximity whereas the opposite indicates great distance. I
find the whole concept appalling...it is so far removed from our belief and
spirituality that it is actually quite shocking.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]