Apakah berita2 yg spt ini...

link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17553752/site/newsweek/

Salam,

Khaidar
http://leluconsinga.wordpress.com
===
Islam Got It First

The tiling in medieval Islamic architecture turns out to embody a
mathematical insight that Westerners thought they had discovered only
30 years ago.

By Mary Carmichael
Newsweek International

March 19, 2007 issue - Ancient, closely held religious secrets;
messages encoded on the walls of Middle Eastern shrines; the divine
golden ratio—readers of a recent issue of the journal Science must
have wondered if they'd mistakenly picked up "The Da Vinci Code"
instead. In stretches of intricate tiling on several 500-year-old
Islamic buildings, Peter Lu and Paul Steinhardt wrote, they'd spotted
a large fragment of a mathematical pattern that was unknown to Western
science until the 1970s. Islam gave the world algebra, from the Arabic
al-jabr, a term referring to a basic equation. But this pattern is far
from basic; it comes from much higher math. "The ridiculous thing is,
this pattern has been staring Westerners in the face all this time,"
says Keith Critchlow, author of the book "Islamic Patterns." "We
simply haven't been able to read it." Now that we can, though, it is
serving as a startling indication of how accomplished medieval-era
Muslims may have been.

No one knows what the architects of the complex pattern in the tiles
named it a half millennium ago. Today, scientists call it a
"quasiperiodic crystal with forbidden symmetry." It's forbidden not
for any religious reason, of course, but because at first glance it
appears impossible to construct. Take a pattern of triangular tiles,
rotate it one third the way around, and the resulting pattern is
identical. The same goes for rectangular tiles (which look the same
rotated one fourth the way around) or hexagonal tiles (one sixth the
way around). But a grid made purely of pentagons simply can't exist.
The five-sided shapes don't fit together without leaving gaps, and
there's no way to put them in a pattern that looks the same when
turned one fifth the way around.

The breakthrough that took the "forbidden" out of that "forbidden
symmetry" was to use two shapes, not one, to build a
fivefold-symmetrical grid. In 1973, having given up on pentagons,
mathematician Sir Roger Penrose designed a fivefold pattern with
shapes he called "kites" and "darts." He was the first Westerner (and
at the time, he thought, the first person) to do so, and his creation
turned out to have fascinating mathematical properties. Any given
fragment of it, containing a finite number of kites and darts, could
be infinitely divided into a never-repeating pattern of smaller kites
and darts.

As the number of small shapes in the pattern increased, the ratio of
kites to darts approached the "golden ratio," a number practically
sacred to mathematicians. Discovered by Pythagoras, the golden ratio
is irrational, which means it extends to an infinite number of decimal
places. (The actual number is 1.618033989 ... and so on.) It is linked
to the famous Fibonacci sequence and cited in the writings of
astronomer Johannes Kepler and, yes, Leonardo da Vinci. It is also
found at the atomic level. In the 1980s, Steinhardt, a physicist at
Princeton, armed with Penrose's insight, found that some chemicals had
their atoms arranged in a "quasicrystalline" shape like that of the
fivefold grid.

Medieval Muslims apparently figured out at least some of this math. On
the wall of one shrine in Iran, Lu found, two types of large tiles are
divided into smaller tiles of the same shapes, in numbers that
approximate the golden ratio. The builders certainly knew about the
ratio, having inherited all the Greek science and curated it, says
Critchlow. "The human creation was imitating, in abstract fashion, the
wondrous creation of God," says Gulru Necipoglu, a professor of
Islamic art at Harvard. Some geometric patterns, for instance, evoked
the planets and stars. And throughout the medieval era and onwards,
says Steinhardt, Muslims "were fascinated by fivefold symmetry and
were always trying to incorporate it into their designs. Where the
patterns ended up with gaps, they would cleverly place a door or a
windowsill there so you couldn't tell." In the buildings examined by
Lu, they succeeded.

Although the Penrose-patterned tiles date to the 14th and 15th
centuries, the same shapes of tiles "were used all over the medieval
Islamic world to generate all sorts of patterns" for hundreds of years
before and after that, says Lu. The Topkapi scroll, a Persian artifact
from the late 15th or early 16th century, lists many such designs.
There may also be clues to ancient Muslims' mathematical prowess in
other tiling on mosques in Iran and Turkey, madrassas in Baghdad and
shrines in Afghanistan and India. They would fit nicely into the
increasingly common image of the medieval Islamic world as an advanced
society. Scholars now know that Muslims of that era could solve
equations with variables to the power of 3 and above, which are harder
than the classic quadratic "x2" ones fundamental to algebra. They also
had mechanical "computers" and knew considerably more about medicine
and astronomy than Europeans of the time.

What has not yet been found, unfortunately, is any record of how early
Muslims designed the fivefold patterns and conceptualized the math
lurking in them, since few Muslim scholars wrote down their
discoveries for wide dissemination. "You absolutely do not have to
understand the higher math to be able to do it," says David Salesin, a
computer scientist at the University of Washington. Lu agrees that
there's no need to project a modern understanding of quasicrystals
onto an ancient culture—but he also says the pattern design was no
accident. "No matter how it was constructed," he adds, "it's a
stunning achievement." Particularly now that the world has eyes to see
it.

--- In wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Terimakasih memang data saya belum lengkap.
>
> Tapi kenapa ya koq kita jarang sekali mendengar kabar baik dan sejuk
> dari dunia Islam?  Kapan kita bisa bangga bilang lihat nih prestasi2
> dunia Islam yg patut dikagumi dan berhasil memperbaiki standar hidup
> bangsa2 lain di dunia selain umat Islam sendiri.
>
> --- In wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com, Ari Condrowahono
> <masarcon@> wrote:
> >

> > oom dana, mau melengkapi fakta, supaya kebepihakan mas dana makin
> > berdasar ... :p
> >
> > 1. di srilanka, di mana mayoritas buddha dan hindu.  dan berdasar
> > penelitian G. Roy [ peneliti asal etnis India dari NUS], srilanka
> adalah
> > wilayah dengan kasus pembom bunuh diri terbanyak, kebanyakan pelaku
> > adalah wanita.
> >
> > 2. di syiah, ada syiah ismaili, kalau di wilayah hazara, pemimpin
> mereka
> > aga khan [yg sering kasih penghargaan uang bagi bangunan dengan
> > arsitektur islam terbaik di seluruh dunia ini], justru representasi
> > islam syiah yang damai. lihat cerita augustin weng ketika meliwati
> > afghanistan dan pakistan.  linknya ada di blog papabonbon.
sebaliknya
> > dengan tradisi di hazara, namun tradisi ismaili di abad 10, yang
> > terkenal dengan orang tua dari pegunungan dan benteng alamut, justru
> > terkenal dengan aliran asasinya ...  mereka menciptakan tradisi
> > mercenaries di kalangan islam.
> >
> > di irak saat ini, antara sunni syiah, juga sering saling balas
> > menggunakan bom bunuh diri.
> >

> > salam,
> > ari condro
> > http://papabonbon.wordpress.com
> >

> > --
> > Pengaruh setan bisa dikendalikan melalui hukum negara sekuler yg
> demokratis karena semua kebijakan negara dan pemerintah
> > menjadi transparan.
> >
> > Perang Aceh dan Timor itu adalah perang yg tidak
> > didukung oleh rakyat Indonesia karena DPR waktu itu mandul. Sekarang
> kalau  mau perang, pemerintah harus minta persetujan DPR dan tidak
> akan semudah  dulu.
> >
> > Ini tidak ada urusannya dg aliran kepercayaan. Sebab tidak ada
> > jaminan bahwa muslim yg saleh itu tidak akan berbuat zalim kalau
> > sudah berkuasa! Tidak ada jaminan.
> >
> > Mengenai pemboman bunuh diri itu adalah murni dari aliran Islam Sunni
> > karena dalam Syiah tidak ada pemikiran spt itu. Jadi jangan melarikan
> > diri dari kenyataan memang bom bunuh diri itu adalah produk peradaban
> > Islam, jadi bukan Barat apalagi AS. Di Barat orang sangat menghargai
> > kehidupan sehingga mana ada yg mau bunuh diri utk suatu
> > aliran kepercayaan.
> >
> > Akuilah dengan sportif bahwa memang dunia Islam sekarang itu
> > dysfunctional. Dan melalui forum ini kita bahas dan kita
> > pahami dimana hal2 yg membuatnya dysfunctional itu. Supaya kita bisa
> > mulai memperbaiki diri.

Kirim email ke