http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IJ25Ae04.html

The voice of the Bali blast speaks
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir
Interview by Philip Smucker

SOLO, Indonesia - Even as Indonesia has gained the upper hand against
religiously-inspired extremism, the spiritual mentor behind the Bali bombings,
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, says he is confident that both time and Allah are on his
side. He says that events across the Islamic world are conspiring to destroy
the "crusade" of his greatest enemy, United States President George W Bush.

"Bush is a very stubborn man," says Ba'asyir, reclining in a white shirt and
plaid waist wrap on a couch in the reception hall of his religious boarding
school, al-Mukhmin, a series of dingy concrete classrooms set on the grounds of
a former commune in Central Java. "Bush doesn't really know that he is losing
this war and this is one of Allah's ways of undermining his crusade to destroy
Islam," he adds.

Indonesia's own successful anti-terrorism efforts should give Ba'asyir and his
associates pause. Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) radicals have been sidelined
politically and ostracized in Indonesia for their inspirational roles in the
Bali bombings. Ba'asyir, 69, who has consistently claimed that JI does not
exist, recently served over two years in prison when Indonesian judges said
that while he had not been involved in the Bali attacks, he had given his
approval for the plot.

But temporary setbacks do not stand in the way of final victory in this long
war of attrition, he insists. Ba'asyir, a man who couches his diatribes to
avoid the appearance of inciting direct attacks, refers to the Bali bombers on
death row as "counter-terrorists with good intentions gone awry", and also
claims to take his own inspiration from al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
Excerpts from his recent interview with Asia Times Online contributor Philip
Smucker follow:

Asia Times Online: What kind of pressure has the Indonesian government put on
your al-Mukhmin school and your religious colleagues?

Ba'asyir: There is certainly pressure from the government in the form of the
police, particularly the special police force Number 88. This body of the
police force was established in part by the US and has also been funded by the
US and is basically a US tool to fight Islam in Indonesia.

ATol: What role does the US play in the war against radical Islamic groups in
Indonesia and beyond?

Ba'asyir: The US is a tool for the Zionists. The US has a program and has a
crusade that is being carried out in an unfair way, which is by spreading the
message that there is Islamic terrorism in this world and basically all the
enemies, all the terrorists are Islamists and all the people who fight for
sharia law. Everyone who is active is left with the stigma that they are
terrorists. They are being arrested and imprisoned.

Yes, there are cases when some persons in some Islamic groups carry out
bombings here in Indonesia. It is also unfortunately the case that they are
bombing places that are relatively safe. It is easy for them to become prey to
US efforts to stigmatize all Muslims.

ATol: Have you rethought your initial approval of the Bali bombings?

Ba'asyir: The bombers were carrying out their acts in Indonesia, a relatively
safe place. When events occur, they [are] taken as justification by the
government and US. They say, "See what the Muslims are doing, this is why we
have to fight terrorism!"

ATol: So you are saying that bombings in safe places - like Bali and at the
Marriot Hotel in Jakarta - are bad ideas that give ammunition and fuel to the
Americans?

Ba'asyir: Yes.

ATol: Are there young Indonesian Muslims bent on engaging in jihad against the
United States? How strong is this movement?

Ba'asyir: Among the youth, many want to fight the US because of the aggression
in Iraq and Afghanistan. And in Indonesia they attack US interests, but I think
it is a mistake to do that here in Indonesia against US interests because
Indonesia is a safe place, a safe country, safe from conflict.

So I, for instance, I prefer that it be done through dakwa, through preaching.
America is instigating a war of ideas, therefore we should fight back with our
own war of thoughts, issues, preaching.

ATol: So you are condemning the Bali bombers?

Ba'asyir: No. The bombers are actually counter-terrorists because they are
opposing US terrorism. They are mujahids.

ATol: How do you fight back against what the US government is doing and saying?
What is your strategy?

Ba'asyir: What we try to do is counter the lies, break down the lies. We want
to uncover the truth that the Koran teaches. This activity in and of itself is
much more productive and efficient than bombing because just by doing that -
preaching the truth - I am being called all kinds of things. There was even an
attempt to take me to Guantanamo, [Cuba] but fortunately I was saved by Allah.

ATol: You call the Bali bombers counter-terrorists, but some would argue that
by calling them counter-terrorists, you are encouraging them to engage in this
activity.

Ba'asyir: What I was saying before is that what they were intending to do was
right. However, the method was wrong, they were bombing a safe place, so the
point here is how you do it as well - the method you use.

ATol: Don't you think you are encouraging more young men to bomb?

Ba'asyir: They are not terrorists, they are not instigating terror, that is not
their intention. They want to fight terror. I don't think that by saying this
that it will encourage them. Only the method is wrong. But it is not right to
call them terrorists. Theirs is a reaction, not an action.

ATol: Many people think that students who have attended your school here have
taken their inspiration from Osama bin Laden. Can you tell me what kind of an
influence he has been on students in your school and on young people in
Indonesia?

Ba'asyir: Generally, the influence of [bin Laden] is good. His intention to
fight the US is good. However, the methods and steps that he uses are not
necessarily to be applied here in Indonesia. You have to take heed of the
situation, but generally speaking it is good.

Again, the steps he uses in other countries are not necessarily applicable
here. Some young Muslims here clearly idolize him and others would not. There
are also students who have quit the school, my school, because they would not
necessarily agree with his teachings.

ATol: Do you think [bin Laden] is a positive inspiration on young people in
Islamic world in general?

Ba'asyir: Generally it is positive. What he is trying to teach, to pass on, is
jihad against the US. He opposes US terrorism against countries. Jihad can be
done through arms and can be done through words as I'm doing now - as
preaching.

ATol: Has the US military's failure to catch bin Laden made him even more of a
hero in the Islamic world?

Ba'asyir: As long as his intent is to uphold Islam, God willing he will always
be safe and saved by God. You can start to see the effects now. Western power
is weakening and, on the other hand, Osama has linked up with the Taliban and
others and is gaining power. I always believe that in the end Islam will have
victory. Whoever is trying to block or fight Islam will eventually lose.
Therefore all the sacrifices will bear fruit.

ATol: What are the tools you use to fight back against George W Bush's "war on
terror"?

Ba'asyir: For Islam, the truth is Islam. There were many prophets but Mohammed
was the last and he trumps the others. We spread the truth, or dakwa, orally,
over the radio and Internet; through all kinds of technical tools.

ATol: Do you think the US is getting the message that [in regards to Iraq] it
may be inspiring more terrorists than it can possibly kill?

Ba'asyir: I'm sure that many Americans understand they are losing the battle in
Iraq. We can see - at least domestically - that there is more pressure against
the war. And there is no doubt that the US is failing and losing in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

However, President Bush is a very stubborn man. He is very extremist. But this
is also one of God's ways of destroying his entire crusade. Allah is letting
him be stubborn, be himself and, in doing so, he creates all this mess and
therefore eventually it will end in defeat.

ATol: So, you think it is a message from God but that Bush doesn't understand
the message?

Ba'asyir: I have written a letter to Bush saying he should not use God's name
to destroy Islam. The only way that Bush can survive is for him to do what is
being ordered by God which is to believe in Islam, to convert to Islam. If he
wants to be safe he should take up Islam.

ATol: Do you think it is possible for the US to change foreign policy and to
live in peace with Islam?

Ba'asyir: In Islam, you cannot force someone to convert to Islam. But what is
fair and just is Islamic law. It is quite possible to have peace with the US,
but the US has to distance itself from Israel or decide not be used as a tool
by the Zionists. But peace is the objective of Islam - to live in peace.

Philip Smucker is a commentator and journalist based in South Asia and the
Middle East. He is the author of Al-Qaeda's Great Escape: The Military and the
Media on Terror's Trail (2004).

(Copyright 2007 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us
about sales, syndication and republishing