http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=103686&d=20&m=11&y=2007&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Local%20Press

                  The Middle East's Leading English Language Daily

                  Sunday 18 November 2007 (08 Dhul Qa`dah 1428)

                  Let Us Walk
                  Huda Al-Salem . Al-Riyadh -

                  When will the Kingdom's youth (both men and women) be
recognized? When will the different governmental sectors acknowledge the
psychological and physical needs of our youths? When will we establish
educational centers, recreational facilities, spas and gymnasiums for them?

                  To ensure people do not misunderstand my suggestions, I am
speaking of segregated facilities.

                  I believe the questions above will remain unanswered as long
as some people continue to be convinced that physical recreation leads to women
becoming corrupt. Women are locked between four walls while exposed to the
uncensored world of the Internet.

                  What a contradiction! One is further forced to ask the reason
behind this. Is it done to protect women? Are there no other avenues that women
could pursue to invest their energy and time in? The result of the current
situation is that women have become the victims of psychological and physical
illnesses.

                  Things are devastating not only for women. Young men also
have complaints about a lack of specialized facilities catering to their needs.
The only available options are expensive gyms that cost an individual thousands
of riyals for a walk on the treadmill and a swim in the pool. As for public
facilities, they are below standard and are few and far between.

                  Do you not think that we should know better? Don't we see the
negative effects of not exercising on people's health?

                  Let us examine walking, for instance. Who believes that women
in Saudi Arabia dream of walking or jogging early morning to enjoy the fresh
air? They want to walk in wide areas where they could have some sort of
personal freedom.

                  With all the spacious lands we have in this country, are we
so limp to provide women with a few kilometers for them to just walk?

                  Incidentally, for a few years now the health minister, as
part of an awareness drive against diabetes, has been sponsoring a campaign to
encourage people to walk. The percentage of diabetics in the Kingdom is on the
rise, reaching 46 percent according to the latest statistics.

                  There are other fatal and chronic diseases such as cancer,
osteoporosis, rheumatism and many other illnesses that are caused by a lack of
aerobic exercises, not to mention the psychological impact walking or jogging
could have on people to elevate their spirits, bring about optimism and
self-confidence.

                  A few years ago, the Shoura Council agreed to establish
sports facilities in every neighborhood. The idea was to find places where
people from the neighborhood of different ages could come together to develop
their mind and body. I won't even ask when this project will begin.

                  Prince Salman Social Center, with separate sections for men
and women, is a great initiative that should be used as a role model and copied
elsewhere.

                  Nada, 16, believes that I have the power to bring hope and
take it away. She wrote to me, "I dream to have a place near my house where I
could meet my friends to play, swim, have fun and exercise away from the
streets and harassers. Can you believe it? When I travel I become extremely
delighted that I'm going to get a chance to walk?"

                  I replied, "Yes, I do believe you. Why wouldn't I?"

            Copyright: Arab News © 2003 All rights reserved. Site designed by:
arabix and powered by Eima IT