  From: Dwi W. Soegardi
  To: wanita-muslimah@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:54 AM
  Subject: Re: analogi ajaib was Re: [wanita-muslimah] Heran

  wah baru segitu dibilang ajaib.

  ok deh lebih lengkap lagi, biar tambah ajaib

  The Elephant in the dark, on the reconciliation of contrarieties

  SOME Hindus had brought an elephant for exhibition and placed it in a dark
  house. Crowds of people were going into that dark place to see the beat.
  Finding that ocular inspection was impossible, each visitor felt it with his
  palm in the darkness.

  The palm of one fell on the trunk.

  'This creature is like a water-spout,' he said.

  The hand of another lighted on the elephant's ear. To him the
  beat was evidently like a fan.

  Another rubbed against its leg.

  'I found the elephant's shape is like a pillar,' he said.

  Another laid his hand on its back.

  'Certainly this elephant was like a throne,' he said.

  The sensual eye is just like the palm of the hand. The palm has not the
  means of covering the whole of the best.

  The eye of the Sea is one thing and the foam another. Let the foam go, and
  gaze with the eye of the Sea. Day and night foam-flecks are flung from the
  sea: of amazing! You behold the foam but not the Sea. We are like boats
  dashing together; our eyes are darkened, yet we are in clear water.

  (Jalaluddin Rumi dalam Matsnawi)

  Sebagai salah seorang buta yang ikutan meraba-raba gajah,
  saya memahami kisah tersebut sebagai proses pencarian kebenaran,
  lagian siapa yang menganalogikan gajah dengan agama dan tuhan?

  salam,
  DWS

  .