http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/05/03/gender-roles-ri-cobwebs-curriculum.html

, May 3, 2008  3:49 PM

Gender roles in RI: Cobwebs in the curriculum
Yoyoh Hulaiyah Hafidz ,  Jakarta   |  Sat, 05/03/2008 11:14 AM  |  Opinion

It was nearly three decades ago, in my first year of elementary school, when I
first learned about role divisions within a family.

In my first grade Indonesian language text book, I learned Bapak pergi ke
kantor (Father goes to the office) and Ibu memasak di dapur (Mother cooks in
the kitchen). Fathers were breadwinners and mothers were homemakers. The public
arena was considered a male domain that women were not a part of -- and that
women should stay at home.

Some aspects of life have changed since that time, including the increasing
demand for equality of the sexes, and we would assume that these old ways have
changed.

But recently when my little boy (a first grade elementary school student) asked
me for help with some homework questions from his text book Civic Education
(Pendidikan Kewarganegaraan), it allowed me to revisit the curriculum and see
that my assumption was wrong -- the same division still exists; Bapak still
goes to the office, and Ibu is still at home.

The long-lasting content of the curriculum regarding gender differentiation may
be a reflection of a long-standing social patriarchal judgment within the
Indonesian community: that women are better in the domestic sphere than in
outside positions.

The issue of gender equality has always been contradicted in a discourse: if
women are (also) going out, then who is going to take care of domestic duties.
Women are seemingly destined to be in the domestic arena and it is men's
destiny to play a role outside.

>From this point, we can clearly see there is a misperception between 'roles'
>and 'destinies'. It is true that being pregnant, delivering a baby and breast
>feeding can be part of a woman's destiny. However, being a homemaker or having
>roles in the public arena are not necessarily the sole domains of either men
>or women. This is a misperception of roles which could be adopted by either
>men or women.

This misperception has oft created a dilemma or a double burden for women who
take on outside activities. A working mother, for example, still has to take on
the major responsibilities of running a household and raising children, even
when she supports her family financially, while fathers only bear the
responsibility of earning for the family.

The other contradiction in women's emancipation is that the emancipation is
very often associated with women demanding to be allowed to go out, which then
leads to the above discourse. But, in fact, the substance of the emancipation
is not about women going out, rather that women (and men) have the right to
choose their own roles, and not be forced into following preconceived gender
roles within their communities.

We should appreciate women who choose to be housewives, just as we appreciate
men who choose to be income earners. Conversely, if a woman chooses to take on
an outside position or activity, this should also be fully supported. In a
household, Bapak and Ibu have equal rights to sit at the same table, discuss
their respective competence, potential and how they would equally divide their
roles to share both economic and household burdens.

If more people recognized this balance, where each party respects the others'
roles, I believe there would be an all-round improvement of male-female
relationships in the home and a reduction of domestic violence.

Despite the fact that the government has given many opportunities to women to
participate in the development of the nation, including a 30 percent quota of
female representatives in parliament, the misperception remains. The quota has
yet to be fulfilled, with a lack of support and awareness of gender equality
cited as one of the main hindrances.

The early years of childhood are believed to be an important part of person's
character-shaping. If we can start here, future agents of change will create a
better standard of living in this country.

The government's efforts to prioritize gender issues in education should really
be appreciated; in particular in its compulsory education program which aims to
balance the school enrollments of boys and girls under nine-years-old.

And children would benefit even more as soon as the old misperceptions and
gender roles found in the curriculum are overhauled.

The equal perception and optimum use of both men's and women's potential and
competencies would lead to an increase of productivity within the family,
society and nation -- which could even pull this county out of its current
long-standing crisis.

The writer works for an international funding agency, and is a mother of two
sons. Views expressed here are her personal opinion.