http://www.stuff.co.nz/4561145a1860.html

 Tuesday, 27 May 2008
Prince Caspian gets feminist makeover

Altering a much-loved book for the big screen is a bold move.

But it's one New Zealand director Andrew Adamson felt he had to make
with CS Lewis' second Narnia tale, Prince Caspian, to update it for a
modern female audience.

Adamson, who rose to fame directing the first two Shrek movies, said
making a movie of Lewis' second book was harder than the first –
2005's The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

This time around he decided to depart from the books a little by
presenting the Pevensie girls, Susan and Lucy, as stronger female role
models.

"I had a big problem with the first book. . . because this is one area
where my idealogies really did differ from CS Lewis'," said Adamson,
who has two young daughters.

"I had a big problem with Father Christmas giving Susan the bow and
arrow and saying `I don't intend you to use them'.

"I was kind of like, all she does in the first book is make
sandwiches, and in that case give her a plate and a knife.

"You know, it's totally disempowering for women."

In Prince Caspian, the Pevensie siblings are magically transported
back from England to the world of Narnia one year after the events of
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

But the young Kings and Queens discover that more than 1300 years have
passed in Narnian time, and during their absence Narnia has been
conquered by the Telmarines and is now under the control of the evil
King Miraz.

The four children meet Narnia's rightful heir to the throne, the young
Prince Caspian, and join forces to find Aslan, rescue Narnia from
Miraz's tyrannical hold, and restore magic and glory to the land.

Unlike the book, Adamson's film sees Susan and Lucy fighting alongside
the boys rather than waiting behind and keeping the home fires
burning.

"Particularly after creating Fiona in Shrek, who is a strong female
character, there's no way I was going to set a role model for my girls
that was like, `you go and do the dishes honey'," he said.

"It's just not the way I'm going to make films."

Adamson discussed the changes with CS Lewis' stepson Douglas Gresham,
a producer on the film, noting that the books were written at an
earlier time.

Adamson also pointed out that Lewis seemed to write stronger female
characters after meeting his wife and Douglas Gresham's mother Joy.

"Lewis had written these first two books before he met Doug's mother,
and in fact he wrote stronger female characters in some of the later
stories," Adamson said.

"And (Doug) came around to that point of view, but largely that was
because of the comment about how he appreciated women much more after
he met your mum," he laughed.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian opens on June 5.

Milis Keluarga Sejahtera mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Milis Anak Muda Islam mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment
....Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: