The Debate over Women-Led Prayer

Guest Name :  Dr. Jamal  Badawi

Subject :  The Debate over Women-Led Prayer

Date :  Tuesday,Oct 21 ,2008

Time :  Makkah - From... 08:00...To... 16:45

GMT - From... 05:00...To...13:45

Dear visitors,

The session has just started. Please feel free to join us with your
questions.

After the session has ended, you can view the whole dialogue by clicking
Recent Sessions, or later on Archive .

For feedback and suggestions, please e-mail us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yours,

Islamonline Live Dialogue Editing Desk

Name Fatimah    - Gambia

Question:  Assalamualiakum,

Thank you so much for encouraging all Muslims to participate in all issues
as far as Islam is concern.. My question is...as a women leading prayers do
u have to be in the same line with the followers? and when residing the
fatihah and the sorah.do the followers have to recite too or they jus have
to recite fatiha?

Jazakallahu

Answer

It was narrated that 'Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, led other women
in prayer and stood in the same line with them. As to recitation, what is
required of men applies to women as well, including some differences in
details between schools of thought (madhhabs).

Name Sadia    - Ethiopia

Profession : Secretary

Question  :

How can women lead prayer? She can manage it perfectly if it was permitted.
But imagine what will happen.can you think of your prayer or the beauty of
her voice? This is Allah's wisdom.Subhanallah!

Answer

It is possible that what you said about concentration on prayer maybe one of
the possible reasons why the Prophet, peace be upon him, did not ask
qualified women to lead mixed prayer in public.

Name Nabil    - Ethiopia

Profession: Student

Question  :

Asselamu Aleykum Werahmetualhi Weberekathu

Dear Dr. Jamal,

I want to know why Women are not allowed to lead in prayers, and if they do
in any case what are the reasons.Shukren.

Answer

There are two types of injunctions in Islamic teachings. First are those
injunctions in the Qur'an and Sunnah that relate to the matter of pure
worship of Allah. It has been the consensus of scholars in the past and
present that since worship is an act of expression of trust and love of
Allah Almighty, then they should be followed as taught to us by Allah and
His messenger. That means we are not supposed to introduce any innovation in
those matters since this is the most serious type of innovation condemned in
Hadith.

The other types of injunctions are those that relate to non- pure worship
issues. In these issues we are encouraged to understand the wisdom behind
them and implement them but without violating the texts that are definitive
in authenticity and meaning or violating the proper rules of interpretation.

This does not mean that we should never try to understand the wisdom of acts
of worship as well. Such understanding begins with reference to the Qur'an
and Hadith. For example, the Qur'an alludes to some of the purposes behind
prayers, including remembrance of Allah and the fact that prayer restrains
the person from indecency and sin. The Qur'an indicates that fasting helps
us avoid what is forbidden and to restrain ourselves. The same applies to
all other acts of pure worship.

However, in the matter of pure worship, the search for understanding the
wisdom behind them is not a pre-condition to abide by what Allah and His
messenger taught us. Furthermore, whatever "wisdom" behind them represents
only our humble human understanding without claiming that we have access to
the full divine wisdom which is exclusive to Allah Almighty.

Name :  Muslim Hedonist    -

Profession  : -

Question  :

What is it that we are taught that women can't lead a congregation of men
simply because of sexual attraction, that women have to be wrapped in layers
of cloth, hidden behind barriers and curtains, or banished to basements in
order to pray in congregation? Are women not included in the Quran's
declaration that "We have honoured the children of Adam"? I can almost
imagine a different way of looking at women's bodies, one which celebrates
their power to bear, nourish and sustain life, and sees them as reminders of
the creator. One that regards women's bodies---and men's bodies---as sacred
rather than as profane distractions from the serious business of worship.

Answer

Firstly, please see the previous answer concerning pure acts of worship.

Secondly, there is no text in the Qur'an or Hadith that says that women
"have to be wrapped in layers of cloth, hidden behind barriers and curtains,
or banished to basements in order to pray in congregation". The Prophet,
peace be upon him, welcomed women in his Masjid in Madinah and they were
praying in the same area like men in rows with men in front and women in the
back so as to respect their desire for modesty in the prayers that require
standing toe to toe and shoulder to shoulder and involve physical movements
such as bowing and prostration. So there was no such thing as "banishments
to basements". According to authentic Hadith, there were occasions that the
Masjid of the Prophet was so full that the last row of men was immediately
ahead of the first row of women.

Thirdly, the Qur'anic declaration of honouring the children of Adam in Surah
17, verse 70 obviously includes men and women. Since the verse did not say
that Allah honours men only. The greatest dignity and honour that any human
can attain is through obedience to Allah and His messenger especially in how
to perform pure acts of worship in accordance to authentic teachings, not
according to our own theories and speculations. After all, as mentioned in
the first answers in this session, pure acts of worship teach us obedience,
submission, trust and love of Allah.

Fourthly, the precautions we are instructed to follow in the matter of
modesty which is necessary for concentration and devotion when we are in
communion with Allah in prayer and the minimization of possible and
sometimes powerful distractions, do not mean the bodies of men and women are
"profane". It is simply the realization of the undeniable male/female
attraction to one another, whose right place is matrimonial relationship not
the devotional acts of worship.

Name : Sara Ali    - Canada

Profession  : -

Question  :

Dr. Wadud and the Progressive Muslim Union argue that it is not they, but
those who deny Muslim women full equality of access to leadership, who are
the ones who have broken away from Quranic principles and prophetic
practices. I have never seen any opponent of full equality for women who
would squarely address the claim that the Prophet commanded Umm Waraqah to
lead the congregational prayers for the men and women of her area. Instead,
the example of Umm Waraqah is usually brushed aside and the claim is
advanced that the Prophet never appointed any women to such leadership. But
even discounting the example of Umm Waraqah, I have not seen anyone who
could point to a reliable report that the Prophet actively denied any
leadership position to someone who was otherwise fully qualified for the
post, solely because that person was a woman.

Answer :

Firstly, the Hadith about Umm Waraqa was in the context of leading prayer
within her own household, not mixed prayers in the Masjid.

Secondly, it is known that it was the duty of the Prophet, peace be upon
him, to teach us fully and completely about the acts of pure worship. This
is confirmed in more than one Hadith; for example, he said: "Pray as you see
me pray." He even reported that Gabriel is the one who taught him how to
pray according to the instructions given by Allah Almighty. With respect to
Hajj, he said: "learn from me your rites (of pilgrimage)."

As such, if indeed it is permissible for a woman to lead a mixed
congregational prayers in public, especially in the Masid, it would have
been the duty of the Prophet, peace be upon him, to show us by example.
Certainly, there were lots of qualified, pious and learned Muslim women in
his lifetime. He never asked any of them to lead mixed public congregational
prayer, even once, so as to teach us how we should practice our pure acts of
worship. The Prophet, peace be upon him consistently and repeatedly taught
us what is permissible and what is not permissible in this crucial act of
worship, which is the second pillar of Islam after the testimony of faith. I
have never heard of a single occasion in his 23-year mission that he ever
did that even once. The exception for Umm Waraqah to lead prayers was in the
context of her own household, not in public as explained earlier in this
session.

This is obviously a tacit, if not a clear indication that women leading
mixed congregation in public is not part of his teachings. For committed
Muslims, male and female, the priority is to follow the beloved Prophet,
peace be upon him, rather than following whims of other human beings no
matter how learned or well-meaning they may be.

Name : Saburah    -

Profession  : -

Question

As'salem alekoum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu. As a practising Muslimah who
tries to live according to the Salafi dawah, I feel deeply saddened when I
see the 'attempted' dismantlement & destruction of our beautiful & complete
Islamic system by people such as Amina Wudud, and others. What bothers me is
that there is already so much mis-information given to non Muslims, that
this just adds fuel to the fire so to speak. People like Amina Wudud appear
to be presenting the view that Islam in its pure state is a backward &
mysogenistic religion, which can only be combated by tainting it with ideas
such as Western Femininism. This is truly bidah, and shows the fragmented
nature of an Ummah from which this kind of thinking has sprung. Unless we
educate the Ummah to adhere to the true principles of Islam, the thin edge
of the wedge will have already opened the door to all manner of evil and
corrupt behaviour. We already see the 'clothed but naked' (quasi) Muslim
women, we hear of (quasi) Muslim homosexual groups, etc, and now 'women
leading men in prayer'. At what point does this end, and how do we as
Muslim's fight the evil within our own society, and at the same time make
dawah and educate non Muslims about the true principles of Islam?

Answer :

My respected sister, you are not the only Muslim woman who sees the issue of
women leading mixed congregation as a frivolous concern that is blown out of
proportion. I have seen, heard and read many other Muslim women like
yourself who expressed the view that to them it is a non-issue and that they
have no problem whatsoever as to who leads the prayer according to the
Prophet's teachings. For example, I have read an excellent article written
by a learned female scholar, Dr. Heba Rauf, who is a professor at Cairo
University, criticizing the over-occupation with such "non-issue" as I
called it.

It is true that there seems to be an organized campaign to divert Muslims'
attention from major issues facing them to such type of issues and
innovations in the pure religion of Allah. May Allah guide all.

I may add also that what is happening today is a fulfillment of the prophecy
made by the Prophet, peace be upon him, that he warned that some of his
followers will imitate the ways of others. What is needed today is to hold
tight to the rope of Allah, and not to be divided. Obsession with these
issues is divisive by nature.

Name :  Muqbil Eltantawi    - United Kingdom

Profession  : -

Question

Some people say there is no innovation if a woman leads prayers because
there is no explicit command from the Qur'an or Hadith that the leader must
be a man. Innovating in prayer would mean changing the number of rakats, for
example. What do you think?

Answer

Please check previous answers that addressed the question of evidence. It is
well-known that Hadith means the words, actions and approval of the Prophet,
peace be upon him. Since the matter of worship is tawqeefi, meaning that we
stop at what the Prophet, peace be upon him, taught us without introducing
any changes, then we should not introduce any innovation in such matters.

Innovating in prayers does not only mean changing the number of rak'ah, but
it does include as well the rules of congregational prayer. The Prophet,
peace be upon him, never asked a woman to lead a mixed prayer in public or
in his Masjid even for the sake of teaching the Ummah that this is
permissible. Evidence could be both positive by pointing out to an explicit
prohibition. It can also be a negative evidence in the matters of pure acts
of worship. This means the absence of any precedents in the statements,
actions or approvals of the Prophet, peace be upon him, which is in this
tawqeefi matter of pure worship is a valid evidence. This is different from
the rule that "things are permissible unless otherwise designated as
forbidden" for the latter rule is in the context, not in the rules of pure
worship but in other mundane aspects of life such as food and drinks.

Name Teresa    - United Kingdom

Profession : mature student/homemaker

Question

Assalamu-alaikum

Dear sir, do you think or opionionate that women will fall into the fitna of
following such innovations due to often cultural attitudes towards women
attending mosques by men. I would ask do you believe this is an enlightened
female taking Islam into the 21st century, or a product of the failure of
some men in their cultural, not religious zeal to displace the importance of
women within the Islamic faith.

Thankyou

Answer

I agree that some innovations are due to marginalizing Muslim women in some
masjids and Islamic centers. However, such actions are not reflective of the
pure, normative teachings of Islam. They are reflections of some Muslim
cultural practices, which is not identical to pure Islamic culture based on
its pristine teachings.

Name : Karema    -

Profession  : -

Question  :

The Muslim world faces a lot of troubles and problems. Why does Amina Wadoud
come up with such crazy things in the middle of all this?

Answer

I am as much puzzled as you are; may Allah guide us all to have the wisdom
to understand our priorities and not to be distracted by such arguments. I
would have hoped that Sister Amina would use her scholarship to address more
pressing issues facing the Ummah such as occupation, oppression, huge
disparity of wealth distribution, and more serious challenges threatening to
destroy the fiber and unity of the Ummah. Even on women issues there are far
more important concerns and challenges than "who leads the prayers" such as
the disregard of women's legitimate Shari'ah rights, misinterpretations that
violate their human dignity, marginalization of women and absence of their
full participation within Shari'ah guidelines and in some cases the bias of
some judiciary pertaining to women's rights. I wish that Sister Amina would
be as outspoken in defending the rights of Muslim women who are forbidden
and/or restricted from wearing hijab, if they so desire, which is rampant
not only in some Western countries such as France, but also in some Muslim
countries such as Turkey and Tunisia.

Name : Ashraf Fayad    - Belgium

Profession : student

Question

I agree that Muslim men and women are ethically and spiritually equal in
Islamic law. Both are responsible for their actions before Allah in the
hereafter. The question is does Islam acknowledge physical equality between
Muslim men and women? There have been arrangements during the congregational
prayers that men are in the front, followed by male children and then
followed by women and female children. Who made such arrangements and what
are their bases?

Answer

Obviously there is no physical equality between men and women. For example,
women are created to bear children, not men. Physical features of men and
women are obviously different. So the issue is not equality; the real issue
here is equity and complimentarity between men and women. Allah could have
created a unisex manifesting total physical equality. Please refer to my
book "Gender Equity in Islam".

The arrangements of men/women and children in the congregational prayer were
instructed by the Prophet, peace be upon him, in his capacity as our teacher
and above all the messenger of Allah.

 Name :  Abd4ullah    - United States

Profession : Hotel

Question :

Asalamalakum,

Dear respected brother, I first off would like to thank you for all your
efforts for this Ummah, May Allah swt Reward you.

My question is; Have you or any other of the Muslim scholars tried to talk
to this women to get her to better understand what is making her do this.
She obviously is very arrogant in her thinking but God knows best because
that's the only way I can think of somebody doing something like this.
Thanks for you time

Asalamalkum wr wb

Answer

I am all for intra-faith dialogue, and I personally support dialogue even
with those brothers and sisters who differ with the majority of the ummah on
crucial issues so long as all agree to take the Book of Allah and the Sunnah
of His messenger as their supreme guide and not to place any personal whims
or opinions above these two primary sources of Islam. The problem in many
cases is the availability of time and the occupation of many scholars (and I
don't consider myself one of them) in more pressing priorities affecting the
Ummah.

Name : Yusuf    - Bangladesh

Profession : Service

Question  Assalamu Alaikum Dear Shaikh!

How do we confront feminists on this issue?

Jazaakallaah!

Answer Let us get occupied with the pure teachings of Allah and His
messenger, trying to understand them in the spirit of humility and willing
acceptance. Let us also focus on our more important priorities and ignore,
if need by, argumentative and less important diversions. Let us also pray
for Allah's guidance for all of us to the truth.

Name : Editor    -

Profession  :

Answer

Finally, we would like to thank Dr. Jamal Badawi for taking the time to
answer the questions of Islamonline viewers today, and we apologize for not
being able to accommodate all questions within the time allocated for this
dialogue. We thank all those who participated in this dialogue, and we
encourage our readers to join us in upcoming sessions.

http://www.islamonline.net/livedialogue/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=yjiT6F