http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi_arabia/10329764.html

Saudi Arabia

Gulf News Archive
Some Saudi women have voiced their fear that their husbands might contract Aids
and come back carrying the deadly virus to create havoc in their family life.

Many Saudi wives dread husbands' foreign trips
By Abdul Rahman Shaheen, Correspondent
Published: July 08, 2009, 22:53

Riyadh: A large number of Saudi families have started leaving the Kingdom to
spend their summer vacation abroad after educational institutions closed last
weekend.  Most of the Saudi families have plans to vacation in one foreign
country or the other.  Remaining families will either stay at home or travel to
the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah or summer tourist destinations within the
Kingdom like Taif, Abha and Al Baha.

Interestingly, several Saudi housewives are wary of their husbands going alone
to spend summer vacation abroad. They are suspicious of the vacation plans of
their spouses to go alone without taking them or any other family members with
them.

Talking to the Arabic daily Al Watan, some of the women voiced their fear that
their husbands might contract Aids and come back carrying the deadly virus to
create havoc in their family life.

Tragically, a few of these housewives have become victims of the killer disease
because their husbands went on such foreign trips.
Maha Mohammad, a Saudi woman, said she was always afraid of her husband
becoming a victim of the disease whenever he leaves for abroad.
"I always live in fear and anguish while my husband goes abroad for
vacationing. Last time, I told him to carry out medical tests before coming
back home so that I can live with him in satisfaction and relief," she said.

Another housewife, aged 25, told the newspaper that she is a victim of Aids
contracted from her husband after his return from an Arab country.  "My husband
used to undertake trips within the Kingdom and abroad at frequent intervals.
Sometimes, he gave reasons and excuses for the trips, and some other occasions,
there were no such excuses.

"He always used to reject my request to take me with him, saying that a friend
is accompanying him in the trip," she said. The young woman, who has two
children, said she felt happy that her pregnancy would bring about changes in
his habit. She said nothing changed even after they had a child. "After coming
back from a foreign country, I found him exhausted and tired. When I inquired
about it, his reply was that it was because of hard work," she said.

Later, the young woman was shocked to see that she had also contracted Aids
when she underwent medical tests following the second pregnancy.
"When I informed him about this, his reaction was more shocking and
mindboggling." Her husband divorced her accusing her of "disloyalty and
cheating", she said.
She said she was happy to learn later that her husband and his friend were
undergoing treatment for the deadly disease