http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=HomePage&id=b4d4699f-3b0a-450e-8a19-36f9ce6dc9fa&Headline=School+where+Muslim+kids+are+happy+to+sing+Hindu+hymns

School where Muslim kids are happy to sing Hindu hymns

Padma Shastri, Hindustan Times
Indore, July 20, 2009
First Published: 00:31 IST(20/7/2009)
Last Updated: 00:57 IST(20/7/2009)

Sanskrit verses are part of the daily prayer for Mantasha Khan (class IX),
Inayat Ali (class VIII), Jofisha Khan (class IV) and 30 other Muslim students
who study at the Shaishvika Vidyalaya, a high school with 269 students run by
the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

It's not just the Medha Suktam (a Vedic hymn recited to strengthen the
intellect) that they recite with perfect diction but they also chant the
Gayatri mantra, Surya mantra and shlokas (hymns)  from the Bhagvad Gita with
equal ease, besides the Ramcharitmanas and the Hanumanchalisa.

"Afsha Sultana Khokhar who passed from the school three years ago, excelled in
recitation of Sanskrit hymns, including Ganesh Atharvashirsha (recited to
invoke Lord Ganesh) and won prizes," the school's Sanskrit teacher Jagrati
Shrivastava recalled.

And their parents never objected. One of the parents -Shakil Khan -has been
encouraging his community members to send their children to this school,
founded in 1975. And the results are encouraging. In 1996, it had four Muslim
students. This year, out of 50 students who got admission, 25 were from
minority community.

"None from our community has problems sending children to the RSS school. They
are gaining knowledge. The school fee is reasonable (Rs 400 a month). And
teachers impart good values. Students there are cultured," remarked ex-student
and cloth merchant Lal Ali, 38, whose sons Fashil and Kamran study in the
school.

Another ex-student and award-winning painter Riyazuddin Patel says, "My
ideology has matured after studying there. What I learned is discipline, which
is akin to the RSS."

Not that city's other RSS-run schools don't have minority students but
Shaishvika Vidyalaya has the most. The management didn't face any problems from
parents even though the school is surrounded by Muslim-dominant localities.

"Parents are very cooperative. We're an educational institution and don't
promote communalism," said school principal Aparna Modak.

It was only when girls were asked to put on bindis that Muslim parents
requested they do so only during school hours. "But then we dropped the
regulation," said Modak, proud of the students the school has produced.