http://www.rnw.nl/english/article/netherlands-returns-kings-head-ghana

Map
The Hague, Netherlands
Netherlands returns king's head to Ghana
Published on : 24 July 2009 - 11:16am | By RNW .
Filed under:
  a.. Ahanta tribe
  b.. Badu Bonsu II
  c.. colonisation
  d.. Ghana
  e.. Gold Coast
  f.. Maxime Verhagen
  g.. Nana Serwaah
  h.. slavery
The Netherlands presented to Ghana on Thursday the bottled head of a monarch,
Badu Bonsu II, executed by Dutch colonists in the former Gold Coast in 1838 and
kept in a western museum for decades.

The Dutch and Ghanaian governments and a member of Badu Bonsu's Ahanta tribe
signed a pact in The Hague for the handover of the head, which remained out of
sight in a room elsewhere in the foreign ministry building for the ceremony.

Ahanta tribe leaders held an emotional ritual, pouring alcohol on the floor of
the conference room while invoking the chief's spirit in the presence of
Ghanaian nationals dressed in the country's red and black mourning colours.

"It is because of the injustice meted out to our people that our great king,
who was fighting for his people, was murdered," was how Nana Kwekwe Darko III,
who led the ritual, explained his chanting in English afterwards.

Dutch Foreign Minister Maxime Verhagen told his guests the ceremony sought  to
lay to rest an historic episode that was "unfortunate and shameful".

"I am glad that our two peoples, Ghanaians and Dutch alike, are able to face
these parts of our history squarely and together," he said.

Ghana claimed the head, which had been preserved in formaldehyde in a bottle
among the anatomy collection of the university in the western Dutch town of
Leiden, after hearing of its whereabouts last year.

The identity of the head was uncovered by a Dutch researcher a few years ago.

"Up to that point, nobody in the Netherlands was aware of its existence,"
Dutch historian Michel Doortmont told AFP.

"Scientific examination"
Ondine Gort, spokeswoman for the Leiden University medical centre, said the
preserved head had been kept there for "scientific examination", and was never
shown to the public.

A great-great-grandson of the late ruler, Joseph Jones Amoah, told journalists
after Thursday's ceremony that he was "unhappy".

"I am hurt, my grandfather has been killed," he said, in tears.

According to the Dutch government, Badu Bonsu II killed two Dutch officials in
1838 "and was handed over by his own nation" to Dutch colonists then in
control of a part of the former Gold Coast that included Ahanta triballands.

"The king was sentenced to death for treason and hanged. His head was removed,
preserved, and brought to the Netherlands," said a foreign ministry  statement.

A sense of betrayal
But Amoah said his forebear had been trying to protect his people from the
slave trade, and was "betrayed" by power-hungry rivals.

"This is one of the rough edges of our common history," said Doortmont.

Nana Serwaah, a 52-year-old Ghanaian expat, told AFP the ceremony was
important "because a king needs to be buried on his own land. He cannot rest in
 peace without a head."

In an apparent gesture of forgiveness, Ahanta chief Nana Etsin Kofi II told
the gathering through an interpreter that "the events happened long ago in
history: "None of us had been born."

The ceremony, that started off solemnly, ended somewhat in disarray when
several of the Ahanta tribesmen objected passionately to their representative
signing the agreement.

They claimed they had been sent to The Hague by the current, 15th Badu Bonsu
merely to identify the head and report back to him, and that they had been
unaware of their own government's plans to take the head back to Ghana.

According to the Dutch foreign ministry, the head was now in the custody of
the Ghanaian government, and should be flown home on Friday where a big funeral
 is being planned.

Source: AFP