http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26277847-28737,00.html

Jihad's motley crew
Milanda Rout | October 30, 2009

Article from:  The Australian
ON a building site in Melbourne's western suburbs, an unlikely group of
characters found themselves working together. Yacqub Khayre arrived in
Australia from Somalia as a young boy and spoke good English, worked hard but
could not communicate with his Turkish-speaking boss. Nayef El Sayed was young
but had a fair share of responsibility with three children and a newborn baby.
Wissam "Omar" Fattal, a former kickboxer and Muslim convert, used to complain
about music played on the site because it was forbidden under Islamic law. They
were all described by their boss as gentlemen who got their work done and
seemed to get along.

So how did this group, along with two others, Saney Aweys and Abdirahman Ahmed
- best described as a motley crew of individuals from different backgrounds and
life experiences - end up being charged with conspiring to plan a terrorist
attack on the Holsworthy army base in Sydney?

Seven volumes of prosecution evidence was tendered this week to the Melbourne
Magistrates Court after four of the five men pleaded not guilty, waived the
right to a committal hearing and were ordered to standtrial.

The fifth man, El Sayed, was not obliged to enter a plea and has reserved his
right to have a committal proceeding next May.

The substantial brief - including lengthly police interviews - traces the life
story of each leading up the fateful morning of the dramatic police raids that
put an end to their alleged terror plot. Each is a tale of immigration and
resettlement in a new country, and none is quite like the other.

Aweys, Ahmed and Khayre came as humanitarian refugees with their families from
Somalia when they were children, with Khayre growing up among Italian and
Greekmigrants. He cannot speak Somalian orArabic.

Fattal and El Sayed came to Australia from Lebanon, Fattal on the urging of a
boxing promoter as he was a prize kickboxer and El Sayed returning here after
doing one year of military service.

The group got to know each other when they started attending the Preston Mosque
in Melbourne's northern suburbs.

The Australian Federal Police allege that, despite their differences, these
five men were planning to die together, to launch a suicide attack on
Holsworthy in which they would storm the military base and gun down as many
soldiers as they could before they themselves were shot.

Aweys was said to have access to weapons. He was also said to have sought
religious blessing - known as a fatwa - from a number of sheiks in Somalia to
give sanction to their murderous plans.

"They want to enter into the military/forces are stationed, the barracks. Their
desire to fan out and get as much as they could until they would be hit," Aweys
says in one of the key conversations captured by secret AFP telephone
intercepts, tendered to the court this week.

"And 20 minutes would be enough for us to take out five, six, 10 and eight -
whatever Allah know ... six of them once they enter inside the location/place
for about 20minutes to 30 minutes, until they will use up theirweapons."

The police also claim text messages were sent between Fattal and Khayre saying:
"Please be upon you can u give the address of australian a ... And name of the
train station", and three days later, Fattal received a text from a public
phone box in Preston stating: "Holsworthy train station. The base is right in
front of Macarthur Drive. Peace be upon you brother."

The prosecution brief includes CCTV footage of Fattal walking down from the
train station the next day. He was then spotted strolling, as he later
described it, to El Sayed around the boundary of Holsworthy.

Anti-terrorism investigators also claim Aweys and Ahmed were helping another
man travel to Somalia to fight with the insurgence against the government.

In the thousands of pages of telephone intercept transcripts tendered to the
court, Aweys appears the most. It was he who called the sheiks in search of a
fatwa; he expressed disdain for Australia, including attributing the drought,
the global financial crisis and the Victorian bushfires to a vengeful Allah who
had come down on the country's "filthy people"; and he organised the movement
ofmoney.

In his police interview, he portrays himself as having little knowledge of
political struggles in his homeland. When asked by detectives why he came to
Australia with his family as a refugee when he was a teenager, he simply
states: "Oh the war broke out in my country, civil war. Yeah, you have seen
Black Hawk Down?"

Aweys, 26, who trained as a boilermaker and has a family and four children,
also plays down his interest in the conflict in Somalia. "What is the war
about?" asks one investigator. "Oh just - I dunno, tribes, things, money,
territory, power. Things like that."

One thing that is clear is that Aweys is devoted to his religion. He tells
detectives it dictates his "family, work, eating, dressing, walking, sleeping".

"It's my life ... Everything I do, everything I am is my religion. So there's
nothing like, there's nothing outside of religion. Everything is religion."

What is also clear from the audio recordings is that Khayre appears to be
Aweys's protege. Despite Khayre only being a couple of years younger, their
life experiences are worlds apart. Khayre arrived as a seven-year-old in 1994
with his grandparents, spending 12 months in refugee camps. He grew up with
what he told police was a mixed bunch of Italians and Greeks in Melbourne's
inner north. He picked up English and went to Gladstone Park High School.

"For the first couple of months we were speaking Somali but then you get the
drift of the language, you know, like all your mates speak English and that is
good," he says in his police interview.

Khayre, 22, never did learn again how to speak Somalian or Arabic. He carries
an English Koran. "Yeah I can read it (a Somalian Koran) but I don't understand
it," he tells police. "And that's why I need an English version of the Koran,
yeah, like I understand it when I read it in English."

Khayre's life went downhill after he dropped out of school just before Year 12.
He says he got caught up in drugs and had to live on the street while
sustaining his habit of ice and marijuana.

"I just got into the clubs, you know. Got into the street culture. That led to
drugs ... It was stupid stuff, if you know what I mean," he told detectives.
"When I was on the streets, I wasn't praying at all ... just lost the
connection. I almost died on the streets, man, you know what I mean."

Khayre tells police that converting to Islam is what saved his life. He says he
got to know Aweys through the mosque and started working as an apprentice
bricklayer in January this year. He quit just 1 1/2 months later, telling his
boss he was going to Somalia to get married. Anti-terrorism investigators
allege this was when Khayre - assisted by Aweys - went to train with the
radical Islamist group al-Shabaab in Somalia as well as seeking out a fatwa and
possible weapons.

His Westernised upbringing became apparent when he got to Somalia.

"How's everything man?" Aweys asks Khayre, according to intercept transcripts,
"Yeah. All praise be to Allah, bro. Honestly, we are blessed but there is a bit
of a culture shock, bro," Khayre tells him.

Aweys then tries to reassure his protege: "Yeah that's all right. Get used to
it, man ... have patience, Allah willing. You are doing the best thing."

Khayre was not the only alleged co-conspirator to have a difference of opinion
with Aweys. Ahmed argued with Aweys about the role of the UN in Somalia. He was
supportive of Western assistance but Aweys was not, calling them all infidels.

Ahmed came to Australia as a refugee with his family at age 11. His father was
a banker and he was studying to be a civil engineer at a Melbourne university
at the time of his arrest in August.

He told detectives in his interview that his family came to this country for a
better life and he planned to go back to Somalia to help reconstruct his home
country.

"I believe - and you can quote me on this - that the future of Somalia lays
with the people who are living in foreign countries," he says. "So doctors, you
know, lawyers, engineers can take their skills back. You know, this is the
people who are going to rebuild the country."

At another end of the social and cultural scale is Fattal, a 33-year-old former
kickboxer from Lebanon who came to Australia on the urging of a fight promoter.

He ditched his rather successful career - including throwing out his trophies -
soon after he found Islam. He became a devout follower, changing his name to
Omar.

Out of the group, he is the most opinionated. His police interview is full of
long diatribes taking aim at September 11, the US, Israel and how all
Westerners are infidels. "Why they call us terrorists for no reason? I - I
never kill in my life," he says. "Your army killer, yes ... why they kill the
innocent people in Iraq, Afghanistan?"

These views influenced his everyday life. He would complain about music being
played on building sites, saying it was forbidden under Islam. He rented a room
in an apartment in Sydney in May and completely ignored the female resident as
well as trying to convert the owner to Islam.

"I have a picture of the Last Supper and a picture of the Virgin Mary and baby
Jesus, and a set of rosary beads in the lounge room of my apartment and Omar
told me that these Christian images upset him and asked me to take them down,"
owner Mazen Sawan told police.

Despite his brusque manner, Fattal's boss Zulkuf Yurtsever describes him as a
gentle and honest man and one that he would hire again. Fattal introduced El
Sayed, also from Lebanon, to Yurtsever, who took him on as abricklayer.

El Sayed, 25, who is married with four children, came out to Australia when he
was a teenager, enrolling in a local high school before going back to fulfil
his military service in his home country.

El Sayed was the one who took the "gentle stroll" around Holsworthy before
reporting back to Fattal that he had been successful. "It's something that's
very easy ... to enter the work it's easy. I went there, I strolled."

Fattal, Ahmed, Aweys and Khayre are due back in the Supreme Court for a
directions hearing next month and El Sayed is set down for the committal
hearing next May.

For their boss, it is a turn of events that beggars belief. "During the time
that they worked for me, I never saw any of the three men get violent or
angry," Yurtsever told police. "I don't want to believe that what the papers
are saying could be true. It does not seem like those men at all."