http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/muhammadiyah-wont-be-drawn-into-debate-over-radical-groups/383699

July 01, 2010
Anita Rachman

Hajriyanto Tohari told the Globe that Muhammadiyah needed to lend its authority
to the debate on hardliners using violent tactics to represent Islam. (Antara
Photo/Ismar Patrizki)

Muhammadiyah Won't Be Drawn Into Debate Over Radical Groups

Muhammadiyah, the country's second-largest Muslim organization, has stopped
short of denouncing hard-line groups committing acts of violence in the name of
Islam, and instead called for introspection on why the phenomenon was on the
rise.

Yunahar Ilyas, head of the organization's fatwa body, told the Jakarta Globe on
Thursday that there had been calls from both radical and moderate Islamic
groups for it to weigh in on the debate, but said Muhammadiyah would stick to
its mission to propagate a peaceful interpretation of Islam.

"I won't mention the groups trying to pull us to their side," he said.
"Muhammadiyah will be consistent in spreading Islamic teaching through peaceful
means and education, not through violence."

Muhammadiyah, which has an estimated 28 million members, opens its 46th
national caucus on Saturday in Yogyakarta, in which it will discuss pressing
issues facing the organization as well as elect a new chairman.

Yunahar said the organization "shared a different opinion" to the recent
vigilantism perpetrated by a hard-line group, adding "the use of violence is
not right."

In recent months, the radical Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) has led a crusade
against the supposed Christianization of Bekasi, and last week it was accused
of inciting another group to breaking up a meeting between lawmakers and
constituents in East Java, claiming the gathering was a reunion of the banned
Indonesian Communist Party (PKI).

Muhammadiyah's alms manager, Hajriyanto Tohari, who is also deputy speaker at
the People's Consultative Assembly (MPR), told the Globe that while the
official agenda for the caucus would not include the hard-liner question,
Muhammadiyah needed to lend its authority to the debate.

"We first need to discuss whether such vigilantism is theologically justified,"
he said. "My guess is no."

Hajriyanto also called for a sociological and political approach to evaluate
the government's response to the recent rise in radicalism. Only then could
concrete action be taken against hard-line groups, he added.

"Back in the '60s and '70s, these things didn't happen," he said. "So why now?
What is the government doing wrong?"

Hajriyanto said the radicalism stemmed from the demise of long-held values at
the advent of the Reform Era, in particular the teaching of Pancasila, which
espouses unity and religious tolerance.

Muhammadiyah has since its inception in 1912 strived for tolerance and
pluralism, values that it instills in students at its schools and universities
across the country, Hajriyanto said.

He cited the group's university in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, where 68 percent
of the staff and 78 percent of the students were non-Muslim.

"This is the true essence of tolerance among people, and it is this value that
we will keep teaching to our followers," he said.

Muhammadiyah's future leaders, Hajriyanto went on, would have their work cut
out in promoting tolerance, including engaging with hard-liners rather than
keeping them at bay, in an effort to draw such groups "back to the right path."

"Organizations like ours and Nahdlatul Ulama need to introspect and ask why
such radicalism has been allowed to flourish," he said, referring to the
country's largest Muslim organization.

"Is it because we don't acknowledge these groups, or perhaps because we
perceive them as being so different from us?"

Zamroni, chairman of the organizing committee for the Yogyakarta caucus, said
Muhammadiyah believed tolerance was the key to bridging communities.

"The use of violence to propagate Islam is not right," he said. "Our principle
is that of amar ma'ruf nahi mungkar [encouraging virtue and forbidding vice]."

Related articles
Return to Pro-People Roots, Experts Tell Muhammadiyah
11:18 PM 30/05/2010

Muhammadiyah Targets Cigarette Ads After Issuing Fatwa
10:04 PM 10/03/2010

Muhammadiyah Needs Change at Top: Youth Leader
11:58 PM 30/06/2010

Muhammadiyah Chairman Fears Political Machinations
10:59 PM 25/06/2010

Muhammadiyah's Edict Up in Smoke At Malang University, at Least for Now
8:51 PM 05/04/2010