[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 6/21/02 11:11:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > The USS Liberty: still covered up after 35 years
> > http://www.yellowtimes.org/print.php?sid=399
> >
> > "Through it all, despite the passage of 35 years, controversy builds and
> >
> > interest in the subject continues to grow. Liberty survivors welcome the
> >
> > Cristols and Orens and misguided articles from Israel's defenders,
> > because
> > every published attack causes even more people to want to know what
> > really
> > happened to the USS Liberty. The continued controversy caused <A
> > ttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0394505123/yellowtimes-20">Assault
> > on
> > the Liberty</A> to sell out months ago. It is being reprinted, and
> > should be
> > available soon."
>
> =====
> All I can say is I sure hope the soon really means "soon" ... because
> this
> book has jump to the top of my must-read list!
>
> I did read some reviews of the book at B&N, including one review by a
> sailor
> who was on the ship when Israel attacked and sank it. I can't say that I
>
> remember the incident, but it doesn't surprise me to find out that
> Israel
> sank one of our spy ships so we wouldn't find out about and possibly
> prevent
> their attack on the Golan Heights. ... They are into land-grabbing,
> aren't
> they.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up!
>
> Lawana

-------------------

The Liberty didn't sink. Some US personnel were killed when Israeli
warplanes strafed it. There are several stories about why it happened.
Mistaken identity is one. It's plausible. Another story is that the ship
was recieving and sending encoded israeli communications and
rebroadcasting them back to headquarters in the clear so that the Arabs
could understand them. Eiother way, is was a terrible incident. The fact
remains that israel issued an official apology. Small comfort to
grieving families, but international relations and military service are
fraught with sacrifices, dangers and compromises for the sake of
strategic concerns that could touch the lives of millions of people.
Israel and the United States are allies. Not friends. As Churchill said,
"Nations don't have friends, they only have interests." Israel and the
USA spy upon each other, just as the US and UK do to each other. Yet, we
remain allied with certain nations even while we have disputes with
them. That's how life works in the adult world.