[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 7/10/02 12:56:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Claes -- would you please name your 10 most favorite patriotic songs for
> >
> > your
> > > country. ... (anyone else on this list feel free to do the same.)
> >
> > =====
> > I take it by the answer you sent that you can't make such a list.
> >
> > OK -- that, in itself, is an answer.
> >
> > Over the years I've heard the comment, No one loves the land like the
> > Irish
> > -- except maybe the Americans. That's why we have so many songs --
> > because
> > of the great love we feel for our country, and how blessed we are to be
> > able to live here. And we express ourselves in song.
> >
> > Admittedly, some of the music is to arouse people to fight ... "Over
> > There"
> > leaps immediately to mind ... but I see no harm in having music to
> > inspire
> > people to do battle when they're fighting for the things that are worth
> > fighting for ... like Freedom.
> >
> > But I take issue with your assertion of superiority. The most popular
> > song
> > in America today is Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" -- the chorus of
> >
> > which is:
> > I'm proud to be an American,
> where at least I know I'm free
> > And I won't forget the men who died,
> who gave that right to me>
> > And I'd gladly stand up next to you
> and defend her still today>
> > 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
> > God Bless the USA
> >
> > Where's the superiority in that? Pride, Thankfulness for those that died
> > so
> > we could live in freedom, an expression of willingness to do the same
> > and a
> > request for God's blessing.
>
> The same with God Bless America...>
> > When the storm clouds gather
> > far across the sea
> > Let us swear allegiance
> > to a land that's free
> > Let us all be grateful
> > for a land so fair
> > As we raise our voices
> > in a solemn prayer
> > God bless America, land that I love
> > Stand beside her, and guide her
> > through the night with the light from above.
> > From the mountains, to the prairies,
> > to the oceans white with foam
> > God bless America, my home sweet home...
> >
> > The main thrust of both of these songs is to ask God's blessing upon the
> >
> > land. I see no indications of superiority, no suggestion that we're
> > right
> > and the rest of the world is wrong.
> >
> > I know the God part sticks in your craw -- and I'm sorry about that --
> > but
> > the USA is a Christian nation, founded on the principle that the Creator
> >
> > gave us certain rights that can be taken away by no mere man or
> > government.
> [...]

We sang patriotic songs from 1941--45 while our fathers and grandfathers
liberated Europe and Asia from brutal dictatorships. We sang them while
we rebuilt Europe after World War Two.

Carping Europeans might want to think twice about the American spirit
and wilingness to fight when fighting is necessary.

Maybe they'd like it better if we had cut a deal with Hitler and let him
run Europe?

AW