On 4/8/06, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. April 2006 22:26 schrieb Dennis Schridde:
> > > attached is a proposal for a replacement for revision.h.
> > [23:21] <per> regarding changing revision.h ... please make sure whatever
> > you change it to works with both autoconf and makefile.raw, at least.
> > working with msvc or whatever would also be nice.
> Would adding the following to makefile.raw be enough?
>
> .PHONY: version.c
> version.c:
>         echo -n 'const char* version(void) { return "2.0.3"; }'  > version.c
>         echo -n 'const char* revision(void) { return "000"; }'  >> version.c
>
> Or should I create a template, like revision.h.template, with placeholders for
> the version/revision number and advise the users in the README to edit it?

If we are going to have revision number displayed, it should not show
zero for makefile.raw builds (AFAIK all windows builds are
makefile.raw builds). I'm inclined to ignore the revision number. Too
much pain for too little gain.

Ideally the version number should be present in a single place in the
source base. We could make a file VERSION which contains only the
string "2.0.3" and which is included by both build systems to set a
VERSION variable/define that is used throughout.

  - Per