So I figured the best way forward with FMV sequences was to keep the released content, but avoid the unreleased "codec130" video codec.  Once we aren't keeping the original files, we may as well dump RPL and use a better known format.  As a step in that direction, here's a tool that will use the binary dlls to extract RPL content into a standard (uncompressed) AVI file.

Compiles against libwine, might even work on windows with a different Makefile.  Requires winstr.dll, dec130.dll, edec.dll, winsdec.dll in the same directory as the executable (or in the wine dll search path).  streamer.h from original source release is included.

This is my first "windows" code, but it seems to actually work  :P

Using this, then reencoding the result as a divx AVI file, we can get ~1/3 of the original file size.  We can vary that a lot up and down by using various quality tradeoffs / codecs, etc.  It'd be kinda neat to use ogg/theora/speex, but I need to find an encoder that works in order to compare sizes/quality.

(I've also got a patch to add an RPL demuxer (but not codec130) to mplayer, if anyone is interested.  I was going to just forget that experiment and stick with the rpl2avi approach)

--
- Gus