Dennis Schridde schreef:
> Am Dienstag, 28. November 2006 13:22 schrieb Giel van Schijndel:
>
>> Gerard Krol schreef:
>>
>>> I vote for XML. It is really easy to get a good parser from somewhere,
>>> and writing your own "language" always turns out to be far more work
>>> than you expected.
>>>
>> I go with you there on the XML. We should however use the XML for
>> storage only, thus meaning to load the data all at once at mapload and
>> then keep it in memory. The SQL thingy I admit probably isn't and wasn't
>> as good an idea as I initially thought it might be, although it probably
>> is superior in speed to most other formats, that speed really isn't
>> required/used during gameplay.
>>
>> As for using plain text with column-describers I vote no. This because
>> it simply can't compete with XML on readability and foolproofness
>> (leaving one value out in XML is no problem, doing that in plain text
>> however causes a column to disappear effectively invalidating all
>> following values).
>>
>> Furthermore I don't think loading speed should be a problem at all, so
>> that should not play a role in selecting a format. (Since all data
>> should be loaded into memory and kept there).
>>

> Repeating Kamaze's idea as it might have been overlooked:

I'm still staying with the point of view I had earlier stated on Lua:
> What I find important to notice as well is that Lua is really a
> programming/scripting language where-as XML is really a data-container
> format. So storing data in XML seems more intuitive from that point of
> view to me. Then when speed comes into play sqlite (or any other
> database engine) is (to my opinion) by far out the best solution to work
> on huge sets of data.
I wouldn't mind seeing special purpose scripts written in Lua. Whenever
your just storing data and describing object properties (which is just
about all that is being done in data/stats/*.txt AFAIK) though I think
XML is much more intuitive to use. It is also easier to create a
data-editor for XML than it is for Lua.

--
Giel