Calling nanosleep / usleep / whatever they use on Windows with a very
tiny value is the same as telling the scheduler that now is a good
time to interrupt. If you do not do this, it will interrupt when it
damn well pleases the scheduler instead. Of course, it is likely to
interrupt more, but that is the trade off.

I have tried fully event based graphics loops before, and always fell
back on tightly written main loops instead. AFAIK, all 3D games use
this, and I think for good reason, although I must admit that I am
somewhat at loss to explain exactly why at the moment.

  - Per