Per Inge Mathisen schreef:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Roman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  What do you mean with 'automatically', does gettext get launched
>>  during compilations or something? I was wondering how to generate
>>  the .po templates.
>
> Oh, I was thinking about the autoconf build system, where it happens
> automatically. You actually need to run the xgettext program to
> extract strings from the source files into .po template files.

Either way, wrapping strings with _() (or P_("context", "string") for
context sensitive strings) marks them for translation by gettext. This
is the most important step (as it's not automated, nor can be automated).

From that point on the strings can be _automatically_ extracted by
xgettext, and combined with msgmerge, be merged with the .po files. This
is currently only handled by the autotools build system or the raw
Makefiles. It is (as I said), _not_ the most important step though,
marking the strings for translation is. (I.e. the developer is more
important than the computer).

PS You'll have to forgive me for my nearly poetic approach here. I like
turning mails into novels ;-)

--
Giel