On 5/8/08, Dennis Schridde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 7. Mai 2008 22:21:05 schrieb Kamaze:
>
> > Dennis Schridde schrieb:
>  > > Add an ingame GUI dialogue asking whether you may do that, then it's
>  > > fine. Otherwise you might be violating laws in several countries.
>  >
>  > I would appreciate that solution not only due legal reasons, also
>  > because making it opt-in is a type of "good" etiquette.
>
> Sure the primary reason is feeling-right. Just wanted to make clear that apart
>  from that we are also forced to do this, no matter what feelings I have about
>  it.
>

>  --Dennis

I rather *not* use the ingame GUI to make a dialog for obvious
reasons. (Mainly, it is a PITA to work with the GUI.)

I also am not sure why you guys think this is any different that any
other program you use that transmits information about the hardware
you are using.  I don't recall Firefox or any other browser throwing
up a dialog saying that it will allow whatever site to query where I
have been before, nor announcing what hardware/OS I am running.
The same goes for the crash handler, when you tell people to upload
the crash dump, it also contains similar info I am after.
That is all implied is it not ?

It is one thing if it was personal information, but just stating OS,
CPU type, and gfx card type?
It would only send said information when the user wants to connect to
the lobby server.  It will NOT do it automatically when you run the
program.
Anyway, perhaps a checkmark button on the lobby / IP/LAN screen screen
will suffice for you all, or maybe have it as a option in the
installer?

I still need to know how to query for the information the correct way
on linux & macs though.