Christian Ohm schreef:
> On Thursday, 12 June 2008 at 16:11, Giel van Schijndel wrote:
>> As for distribution I suggest we use a non-RPL based format. Ogg/Theora
>> comes to mind, though I don't really mind other formats either. (As long
>> as it's a free & open format).
>
> I prefer MKV to OGM as a movie container, though for a game it doesn't
> really matter. Codec-wise Theora/Vorbis seems a good choice.

I do like Matroska as a container as well, though I have no clue how
implementing it compares to Ogg.

> Why a branch? The movie code shouldn't be that difficult to reactivate
> (unless someone ripped it totally apart in the last months), so just
> doing it in the trunk seems easier to me.

I would actually prefer that approach as well, if it doesn't produce
large amounts of noise that is...

>> I suggest we stuff all FMVs in a .wz modpack instead of a tarball. This
>> way no further processing will be required by those wish to download and
>> use it (aside from dumping it in the correct directory). I suggest that
>> we put all non-FMV data (i.e. meta data) that will have to reside in the
>> same .wz zip file in our svn repository though.
>
> For the Windows world, rather a zip than a tarball. And a torrent would
> be nice as well, to spare GNA's bandwidth a bit.

Well, the .wz file would be a zip file ready to drop in a mod directory
for Windows, GNU/Linux and OSX all at the same time. That's at least how
I had it in mind. I.e. we don't use some OS's conventional archive
format, we use our own format!

>> It's probably best to somehow register the FMVs with warzone through the
>> WRF resource system. Then we just attempt to always play these videos and
>> do nothing when they're not loaded through the WRF system.
>
> The infrastructure for that should still be in place, we just need code
> to decode and show the videos.

I don't think an infrastructure like I described above has ever been
there really...

> [snip]
>
>>> Apropos soundtracks. There is still MichaelB et al.'s soundtracks
>>> dangling somewhere. Maybe we could add them to beta4 as well?
>> I've already added them to a mod pack [1] and solved out the licensing
>> issues for those. I've also set up the NSIS installer to automatically
>> download that mod-pack at the user's request (i.e. they just have to
>> enable it in the "components" section).
>>
>> [1] http://download.gna.org/warzone/releases/mods/music_1.0.wz
>
> Are those all the contributed tracks, or just a selection?

These are a selection made from [1] in the forums by [2].

[1] http://wiki.wz2100.net/Music_proposals
[2] http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1616

--
Giel