hello everybody, I've been following this list for some time now,
however, I'm not a programmer... Perhaps a testplayer at best...

However, on this subject, perhaps it would be a good idea to use the
same method the flightgear project uses (www.flightgear.org), which is
to seperate data and source code repo's. This would make for a rather
radical change in how things are set up currently, however I think it
would be quite an advantage in the long run, as the amount of data
will keep increasing with better textures, movies etc etc. A checkout
of the source would then be far less time consuming as it is
currently.

Stefan