On 5/8/09, Zarel <zare...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, guys, is it okay if we release 2.1.4 concurrently with 2.2 RC1?
>
>  Buggy and stiv seem to be very against the idea, Cybersphinx sounds
>  neutral, Per sounds for it.
>
>  Here's why I think releasing 2.1.4 is a good idea:
>
>  - As mentioned earlier in the 2.2 RC1 thread, it's not as stable as 2.1 yet.
>  - 2.1.4 has one of the most requested bugfixes - namely, how the
>  interface hides itself whenever someone changes
>  color/team/position/etc in multiplayer game staging
>  - We're not going to be releasing a 2.2 stable for at least another
>  three weeks - people should get an interim stable release.
>  - It theoretically shouldn't be more work than just making a release.
>  I mean, it sounds like we're dropping support for 2.1 either way.
>
>  I can handle most of the work - I just need people to compile and
>  upload source tarballs, Windows binaries, and Mac binaries. Giel?
>  EvilGuru? If we do it at the same time as 2.2 RC2, it shouldn't be too
>  much more work, right?
>

>  - Zarel

My biggest objection to having another 2.1 release is that it will
serve no real purpose, besides for us having to deal with another 2.1
release.  (More bug reports from 2.1.x, even though they most likely
have been fixed in 2.2, and whatever else... and I don't have my
epitaph ready either! :P)

People are not going to test 2.2 if the 'most requested bugfixes' are
fixed in 2.1.  They have no motivation to upgrade.

I rather have everyone hit 2.2 RC *hard*, and for the next 3 weeks,
file as many bug reports as possible, so we can release a better 2.2
release.
This will be much better for our project, in both the short and long run.

Hope that clarifys things.