On 12/5/09, Zarel <zarel...@xxxxxx.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM, bugs buggy <bugx...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Just a heads up, I am leaning toward the next release to be 2.3 RC1.
>
> I'm fine with this.
>
>  > Working on some tickets that were reported for B3 now, but I don't see
>  > any real showstoppers yet.
>
> There's some guy on the forums who can't run 2.3b3 but is fine on
>  2.2.4. Go talk to him. I think his username is SCAVANGER or something?

If you mean: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4239  if
people don't read up on what they should post, then how can we help
them?

It gets highly annoying to see posts / trac tickets with basically no
real information in them.

>  > With the release of 2.3, we will turn off the lobby server for 2.2.
>  > 2.0, and 2.1 have already been disabled.
>

> Per our IRC conversation, I feel that "one or two weeks" is too short.
>  I'm thinking something like six months. The lobby server should be
>  yelling at them to upgrade the whole time.

It will spit back a message about updating, but 6 months is *way* too
long.  There really is no reason NOT to upgrade.

>  Most large projects support versions far older than six months. While
>  we don't have the manpower to do that, we also shouldn't intentionally
>  refuse to do something as simple as leaving the lobby on. Remember,
>  the latest version of Ubuntu will have no version of Warzone later
>  than 2.2.2 until April 2010.
>  > You wouldn't believe how many 2.0 and 2.1 people still hosted (or
>  > tried to host) games!
>

> All the more reason not to retire the 2.2 server so early.

No, that is the exact reason why to retire it ASAP.  We want everyone
to use the same version of the game.  This will make a bigger userbase
that all has the same version of the game, and will make it much
easier to find games online.

Let me clarify a bit, when I say turn off 2.2 server, I mean, it will
still spit back the MOTD message, which will be something like. "You
are using a unsupported version of the game.  Please update today!
http://wz2100.net";  or whatever...
The addg will be disabled, the list will still show games, but it will
show the "X" on the games, because of wrong version.

Make sense?