On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Christian Ohm <chr....@gmx.net> wrote:
> My preferred commit message format is:
>
> "What was changed.
>
> Reason why it was done, maybe why it was done the way it was done, the tickets
> it fixes."
>
> So a short summary that's less than 80 characters, and a description with more
> details, if needed. git uses that format, and when you email a patch, the
> first
> line becomes the subject, and the rest the message body. So ideally commit
> message and patch are a self-contained unit, that should work well for
> changelog writing.

There's another consideration, that this:

>> Fix lobby glitch to update everything when netPlayersUpdated is true
>>  and force localOptionsReceived to be true as well,
>>  since that is what controls the drawing routines.

is highly technical, which is why it was summarized to something like
"Make lobby update correctly" in the changelog.

Perhaps the best idea would be to have the first line be something
that could be changelog-able, and the second paragraph would be
technical details like what was done code-wise, why it was done, and
which ticket it was.

-Zarel