I think JArkelen points out something fairly valuable here.

we're overloading the term 'logger' and that's causing confusion..
perhaps using more distinct nomenclature would be good?

In my view there is both "Logging" used for debugging of scripts or
how exactly the application is failing when scripts are run, and
'Reporting' of test case results (especially useful when a suite of
tests is run automatically)

I view 'Reporting' as something that belongs in a overall test
framework..  and I wish we had one because I'm not relishing re-
creating that particular wheel, (and as Brett pointed out that's a
huge advantage that many of the commercial products have over watir at
the moment) BUT that's entirely outside the scope of the current watir
work, and sounds more like the kind of thing Brett is hoping for
WatirCraft to accomplish..

OTOH I really would like to see some kind of fully integrated
'logging' built into watir..  Somethig where I could just set a flag
to enable the logging and specify a few things like where to establish
the logging file, and the system would automagically log each method
being executed, along with parameters and return values).  It would
also need its own method that you could call to manually throw
something into the log if it was needed.   I think that would be
highly valuable and does have a place in a 'browser driver'.

just my $.05