Hi Bret,

thanks for investigating. Here are some scenarios on my box using irb:

A) firefox already running

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'firewatir'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> b = Watir::Browser.new
TypeError: exception class/object expected
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/
firefox.rb:1078:in `raise'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/
firefox.rb:1078:in `js_eval'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/
firefox.rb:195:in `get_window_number'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/firewatir-1.6.2/lib/firewatir/
firefox.rb:162:in `initialize'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/commonwatir-1.6.2/lib/watir/
browser.rb:65:in `new'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/commonwatir-1.6.2/lib/watir/
browser.rb:65:in `new'
        from (irb):3

firefox shows a popup box telling me that only one instance of firefox
can run simultaneously. Ok, no problem.

B) firefox _not_ running

irb(main):004:0> b = Watir::Browser.new
=> #<FireWatir::Firefox:0x1a39c50 @window_title="", @error_checkers=
[], @window_url="about:blank", @t=#<Thread:0x1a39b38 sleep>>
irb(main):005:0> b.close

The Browser.new call opens firefox as expected.
The b.close call closes the newly opened firefox window but never
returns on its own.
If I close ff now manually, the b.close call returns showing:

=> #<Thread:0x1a39b38 dead>

Hope this helps! Any ideas are appreciated!

Matthias