Why are you accessing the web service using Watir and IE? Will end
users of the web service access it with a browser? If not, and if
you're just using the web service to get data to use in other GUI
tests, you might find something like Net::Http and REXML to be more
appropriate for this part of your script.

Richard

--
Richard Lawrence
Certified Scrum Coach