I'm not sure it's a better option than AutoIT, but you can change that
setting directly in the registry (see another recent thread for a
discussion of modifying the registry from Ruby).

On my machine HKEY_USERS\<user ID omitted for
brevity>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3 has the security settings for the internet zone.
Setting the value named "1400" to 3 disables scripting; setting it to
0 enables scripting. To find yours, export the registry before and
after making the change through the IE options UI and diff the two.

And of course, you can check the state of IE by reading the
appropriate registry key.

Hope that helps,

Richard

--